_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
My first plane: Egyptian Vampire MK5
helkaissy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 08:10 PM UTC
Dear All,

This will be my first plane out of the armored vehicles world

I chose the "De Havilland Vampire Mk5" as it was the second Jet plane to enter the Royal Egyptian Airforces in 1954.

I chose the Trumpeter kit in 1/48 scale, the build was straight forward and simple. The Details of the kit were good but on the inside the cockpit & instrument panel were too simple, a bit of scratch details were needed.
The Decals were not Egyptian and no thirdparty decals exist for Egypt so I had to paint the Egyptian flag on top of the current decals and use them, it worked well enough.

Overall it was a great kit and I enjoyed every bit of the build

The Kit:

Assembly:

Applying primer to the cockpit:

Painting the cockpit:

The simple decal instrument panel:

Using water colors to add some colors to the panel:

Fixing the Visor so light can go through it with yellow water color:

Assembled:

Applying red primer to the body:

Airbrushing with Tamiya X-11 Chrome:

Adding scratch seatbelts:

The Finished Model bottom:

I added metal inserts inside the machine gun openings:

The Finished model after putting it on a Tarmac base with some sand in the corner (Egyptian Desert!)

Thanks for watching, appreciate your suggestions on possible improvements for my next plane project

Cheers

Hussein
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC
Very neat build Hussein, well done.

You're a brave soul tackling a natural metal finish on your first aircraft build, but it came up beautifully!

The markings came out well also, it is good to see an uncommon scheme.

Looking forward to your next wingy-thingy.

Cheers, D
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 09:24 PM UTC
It turned out very well. I hope to see many more of your planes.
Black_sheep
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 03:17 PM UTC
Great Job Hussein, I really like the results of your first aircraft modelling! Its a unique airplane and I didnīt knew egypt did used it.

As you asked for constructive comments I have two recommendations for your:

1: The airplane shout out for a proper panel line wash. Look here for a tutorial how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfsFGZbiDLM

2: The runway look a little bit too clean for my taste. As I also have been in egypt bevor I suppose there is often sand flying across the surface. Maybe some desert sand pigments or some color with a spraygun give it a more realistic effect?!

3: Maybe an appropriate pilot figure will enhance the final results and show the spectator the sizes of the aircraft compared to a human.

Again, you did a great effort with your project and Iīm looking forward to see more of your work in the future.

Best Regards

Thomas
helkaissy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 04:33 PM UTC
Dear Thomas

Many thanks for your constructive feedback.I will try to apply some sand pigments and some dust weathering to the Tarmac.

One thing I wanted to ask you is where can i find 1/48 seated pilot figures especially for such a non modern plane? I wanted to initially add a seated pilot but couldnt find any online except modern jet fighters. Now what do you think about adding a standing pilot next to this plane? But again where can i find a standing pilot figure from the 50's in 1/48 scale?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 07:18 PM UTC
Hussein,
Nice to see a build of an rather less then popular jet subject, and for the Egyptian Air Force.

For a 1st build, especially doing a NMF, your completed aircraft looks fantastic. Nice effort on the decals and especially your painted Egyptian flag.

Looking forward to your next build.

Joel

_GOTOTOP