_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Morane 500
PatrickG
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:19 AM UTC
Next week I'll be starting on a Tamiya Storch, with a twist. It's going to be done up like a French Morane Criquet. I'm thinking of doing it in dark green, with a lighter blue under the fuselage and wings, as seen in photos. My plan is to do the shadows and wash by hand and the main colors by spray-can, over primer.
What I'd like is any advice about picking specific colors and, maybe more importantly, sourcing decals.
I realize it's a bit of an unusual project and some other livery might be easier, but I really do want it in Armee de L'air or Aeronavale colors.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 - 05:18 AM UTC
I do have a soft spot for the Storch, such a nicely proportioned aircraft.

This might be a long shot to track down but I do remember Aeroplane Monthly having some pics of what you are looking for more than once.

My experience is with a pile of the mags to leaf through it is difficult to track out the article you are looking for. So I suggest you submit a query to them, Mike Hooks runs a Q & A column that might be the best place to submit to.
PatrickG
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 - 11:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the lead. I'll definitely see if Mike can give me anything to go on.
Since posting the question I've discovered that many of the aeronavale planes where in a shade that is close enough to identical with USN blue, but that only solves the issue of the primary color, not the appropriate shade for under-wing or what markings it should carry.

You're quite right about the Storch, it has a very functional aesthetic, there's something about the big wings and canopy that makes it, well, not pretty, but almost elegant.

If there's any progress I'll be sure to mention it here.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 - 08:30 PM UTC
Available photos indicate that the Aeronavale Criquets were overall USN glossy sea blue, so there's your paint job taken care of

Are you going to attempt the radial engine conversion? Way back in the mists of time ESCI did a kit which crops up on evil-bay from time to time. They were okay by the standards of the 1980s, but in no way compare to the Tamiya kit.

Here's a French forum post talking about your exact subject, complete with some rather nice piccies and here's where to find the decal he used.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 06:13 AM UTC
I have just realised the current Aeroplane Monthly has a good story with excellent pics of a Moraine Parasol in the Aeronavale colours you are looking at. More inspiration for the mill.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 06:20 AM UTC
There seems to be more than 1 shade of Aeronavale Blue.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 06:27 AM UTC
Take care with that, those last two are restored and so may not be entirely accurate.
PatrickG
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 09:52 PM UTC
I'll be reading through that French forum, I'm sure there will be a few good tips. Much of the best writing on the 'criquet' is in French, which has made things a bit more difficult. The decals will also be extremely helpful, I've been searching myself without finding any morane-specific.
Regarding the paint, the corsairs were received directly from the USN, and so were in USN blue. Proper aeronavale blue might be very slightly different. I'll do a bit more investigating. I'd like it to turn out to be USN colors, because I'm doing up a corsair in aeronavale marks for practice, meaning I have the paint.

Currently I'm visiting family, so I'm away from my work-in-progress corsair, but on finishing that I'll show some pictures and perhaps be able to continue to research and discuss the paint until getting started on the storch/criquet.
I considered the radial conversion, but as some flew with the fieseler-style engines and cowling (and that it might well be beyond my skill) I'm not going to attempt it this time. A project for the future, I believe.

Thanks for all the help. Perhaps by the next IPMS meeting I'll have a good work in progress (plus the corsair) to show.
 _GOTOTOP