_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
FW-190 Cockpit almost done...
jrnelson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hi guys -

This is what I've been up to that past few nights.... :-)

This is my first aircraft subject - so any pointers from you wingy types would be appreciated greatly. I have the base colors for the cockpit done - but I can still make any changes that are suggested....

I must admit.... that this is kinda fun :-) I still love my tanks...... but a plane is good therapy for the soul... hehehe

I hit a brick wall with my Cover Up dio, so while I contemplate the finish of that, I thought I'd get cracking on an FW-190. The kit is Tamiya's FW-190 A3 in 1/48th scale... the cockpit is Aires resin, with PE seatbelts.

I'm sorry for the poor photos - this little sucker is hard to take steady pictures of :-)

Comments and suggestions welcome :-)
Thanks-
Nelson

Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:26 PM UTC
I think that you have gone pretty well so far . One point on the ride side this dark coloured panel seems a lil "raw" on the surface as i can see from the picures. Is it the paint or my oldy eyes. ? Nice weathering
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but a plane is good therapy for the soul... hehehe

trucks are even better JR!.....lol

JR you say that the cockpit is resin so are the dial faces decals or a printed sheet like you find in PE sets for instrument panels?

other then that mate well done you are an acomplished modeler who can only get better.
jrnelson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 05:25 AM UTC
Thanks guys-

Goose - I agree about the rough spots on some of the flat panels. I tried to use an acrylic base coat of paint, and for the life of me, I couldn't get it to go on smooth. Lesson learned... hehe :-) Next time i'm gonna use enamel paints. I still plan on giving the rough spots a thin coat of future, to sort of even them out a bit. Then I'll go back with some oil paints to blend the colors.

Roo - I suppose trucks would be good therapy as well :-) We'll see how the Tamiya GMC/Roo conversion works out.... hehehe (maybe I'll need therapy AFTER that one...lol ) The instrument dials are on a thin acetate film that comes with the cockpit set.... just glue em to the back of the PE dashboard, and away you go :-)

All in all - a fun kit.... even though I had to do major surgery on the fuselage to get the cockpit to fit.

Later-
Nelson
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:37 AM UTC
nice deatiling in the cockpit.the seat belts look great also.
nice job for your frist plane.
Zverko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:12 PM UTC
The problem might not be the fact that you are using acrylics, but which acrylics are you using. The drybrushing should not cause a problem, but it seems that it did. Generally MM acrylics don't cause problems (depends on the pigm.); Tamiya are a big no-no; artist acrylics will never cause you trouble. Don't quit on acrylics, the rule major a_ _ . Probably the biggest reason (Correct me if Im wrong) for the chunks of paint is that you drybrushed a glossy surface ... Im not an expert on AC, but I think it will always be better to do all the cockpit pure-matt and when finished, gloss all the surfaces that (according to proper reference) are shiny.

Zverko
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi Nelson,
great progress.
With regard to therapy, its a two way street or should I say air-lane.
When my armour kits arrive we'll have swaped places...ships in the night.
Cheers
Peter
jrnelson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:27 PM UTC
Zverko - I think you hit on something there... I used Tamiya Acrylics :-) I should have known better, as I can't brush them on my armor kits... lol... I don't know why I expected them to react any differently on a plane... hehe Oh well, live and learn all over again is what I say.

My camera my also have contributed as well.... I have a 5.0 Megapixel Nikon, and the pictures are blown up EXTREMELY large.... The cockpit doesn't look nearly as lumpy in person.... This pic shows what it looks like at normal viewing distance :-) Thanks for the tip on artists acrylics, I have never thought of giving them a try - they sound like a good alternative to artist oils... I'll have to look into them....

flitzer - I don't think I'll start my own squadron anytime soon... hehehe :-) , but I do have my eye on the Tamiya 1/48th ME 109 :-) I still have a huge pile of armor that I want to get done, but I'm certainly going to pick up a few more planes to build when I need a change of pace... I'm finding that it is refreshing to work on something different.

Thanks guys-
Nelson
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 07:27 AM UTC
Lord Nelson,

May I offer a belated congratulations to your extremely well done cock....pit....

The coloring is good, and looked used, I like it a lot. The only thing I like to offer is I am not sure about the seatbelt color, I think them German seatbelts are made of canvas (cheap canvas)hence, has an off white or ivory kinda color, but I could be wrong.

You need to get yourself a modern Jet, if you like WW II cock..pit, then you gonna love the multitude of a modern Jet cockpit.

Great job. Lord Nelson.

Hubba Hubba!
Zverko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 08:07 PM UTC
Dont get me wrong JrNelson: I believe that Tamiya is a great product for airbrushing and I use it to prime figures with great results. The pigments disperse homogeneously along the surface when airbrushed. Just NEVER hand brush them cause they suck. I don't know why! IMO Artist Acrylics are the best for the former.

Zverko
 _GOTOTOP