1 Aussie 'Black Cat'
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC

Hi, it's been a while.
I've almost completed the Momo PBY-5 Catalina, that is part of a project undertaken for our RAAF's Officer Training School, here in [Melbourne] Oz, the information on this bird given by the RAAF was, A/C A24-57 of 43 Squadron RAAF flown by the Sqn's CO [Wg.Cdr. McMahon]
I used the Xtra Colour paints on this one of Night / Dk Sea Grey / Ocean Blue.

I coated the model in an Alluminum finish, then painted the fuselage and lower mainplane in black, only the upper surface of the mainplane were como'd in the blue / grey, as these birds were at the mercy of the sea and other tropical elliments, all their service life. The alluminum base coat created the weathered finish on the paint, by using a thin coat in places, the faded fabric finish, on the control surfaces have been covered in a grey wash, all the exhaust stains, are created with pastels. The mainplane decals were changed, unlike the ones on the 'Green Cat' [which is in my gallery].

I used my Shadoworks resin detail set on this bird, which apart from the cockpit detail, also includes the Flame damper exhausts that were fitted to these aircraft, [unlike the exhaust tubes that are in the kit].
I'll post photo's of this bird at a later date. Photo's of this aircraft are in my gallery
My next aircraft model on this project is the A20c Boston III as flown by our 22 Sqn [more on that one later].
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 09:53 PM UTC
here is the pics.

lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC
Looks good mate, cheers
Mitch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 01:48 PM UTC
Wow, the weathering on that is amazing, I like how you did the cowling, looks great
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 02:35 PM UTC
What a great Catalina!! Is there any underside photos??
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 03:02 PM UTC
Howdy Rob,

As I've already told you in a different venue, very nice Cat! :-) The 'wear & tear' is well balanced, and the small details you fine-tuned really add to the finished product.
I love the flame arrestors, and the resulting discolouration of the upper wing surface. Makes me want to reach up and throttle those babies up!

Tread.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 03:03 PM UTC
I've always wanted to build one of those but just haven't gotten around to it. Yours looks superb. Fantastic weathering.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Rob

That is magnificent!

Weathering the top coats down to the aluminium underneath works brilliantly... what paint did you use for the aluminium base?

Really great build - thanks for sharing... and I can't wait to see what you do with the Boston...

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
:-) Yep, agree, a supurb looking Cat, love the weathering :-)
I have one of these half built, I really must get it finished, It's this sort of thing I need for the push
Mal
 _GOTOTOP