_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-14DBombcat weapons configuration
GawainBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hello and well met!

After more than 10 years, I've taken up this hobby again. I'm starting with the same plane that kick it off ages ago: an F-14!

I decided to turn it into a Bombcat, with the help of Hasegawa's extra weapon kits. (Boxes VI & VII, I think.)

However, I want to check of this weaponsloadout is realistic. By this, it should have been possible to have been carried by the F-14D, but it should not necessarily have been a loadout that got actually used.

2 AIM-9L/M
1 AIM-54C (left shoulder)
LANTIRN (right shoulder)
2 GBU-16 (Two front belly rails)
2 GBU-32 or 38 (Aft belly rails)

From what I gathered, F-14Ds could fly & land on carriers with missiles, LANTIRN and 3 GBU-31 2000 pounders, so weight-wise, the above seems feasible.

Can anyone confirm this, or provide more info? General tips on dealing with this model kit are welcome as well. I've been out of the loop for a loooong time.

Thanks in advance!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 07:34 PM UTC
Jonas, great pick for your build. The -14 is a magnificent aircraft. As far as load outs go the GBU-31 was the most common JDAM carried on the Tomcat. Usually two or four were carried. I think the GBU-38 came into use towards the end of the Tomcat's career, mainly by VF-213 and VF-31 on their final deployment in 05-06. The big GBU-24 was carried as well but usually in pairs. They would mount one on the front pallet and another one on the opposite rear pallet for weapon separation purposes. The GBU-12 was very common as well, in Iraq and Afghanistan, because the warhead was smaller and there was less of a chance of collateral damage. I believe VF-213 carried the GBU-12 and GBU-38 together with one of each on the front pallets. The GBU-16 was probably the least used of all the LGB's on the Tomcat during OEF AND OIF. The LANTIRN pod will be carried on the right shoulder pylon. In OEF and OIF it was common to see a Sidewinder on the the left and right shoulder rail or a Sidewinder and Phoenix together on the left shoulder. If you use a Phoenix remember to use the right adaptor for it. It uses the longer adaptor with the sloped front end. Also, for FAST FAC and armed recce missions some Tomcats would carry the TARPS recon pod on the rear station and two 500lb dumb bombs on the front stations. If you are building a TARPS bird the TARPS motif is usually included in the BuAer number. Also, I don't think a TARPS bird could carry JDAMS or GBUS because they were wired differently. Anyway, I hope this helps. In addition, the last Hasegawa weapons set (IV I think?) is the only one that has the right weapons for what you need. However, there are some great resin updates floating around as well...i.e Wolfpack, Steel Beach, Avionix..etc. BTW, which Tomcat kit are you using?

Best wishes,

Ian

GawainBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 09:54 PM UTC
Thanks for your reply, Ian.

It's a 1/72 F-14D from HobbyBoss. I'm going to put the VF-31 colours on it. (VF-31 is probably my second favourite squadron, after VF-1.)
The Hasegawa kits definitely range up to VII, as per their website. The ones I need even come with specific Tomcat adaptors, which is a big plus.

It seems that I'll be going for two GBU-38 & two GBU-16 then.

I recommend Bombcat from AirForces Monthly, if you like this jet, as I already have gotten a ton of info from it.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hey Jonas. I was thinking 48th scale for the Hasegawa weapons sets which are actually lettered A-D. I forgot Hasegawa has a much wider variety of sets in 72 scale. Anyway, I have heard good things about the Hobbyboss Tomcat. Best wishes and enjoy.

Regards,

Ian
GawainBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 03:18 PM UTC
Does anyone have a clear schematic of the camouflage (insofar applicable on a CAG bird) scheme of this aircraft? The in-box folder shows different kinds of grey, but the pattern isn't clear at all.
Any & all help is appreciated!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 04:24 PM UTC
Jonas, VF-31 was one of the Tomcat squadrons that used the three color camo. I know you indicated above you were leaning towards those markings. That is Med. Grey upper surfaces (FS35237), Dk, Ghost Grey sides and vertical stabs (FS36320) and Lt. Ghost grey undersides (FS36375). Check out Cross Delta decals on the Internet. They have great schematics available for VF-31 Tomcat schemes.

Best wishes,

Ian
GawainBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 05:16 PM UTC
Thanks, those schematics go a long way to make it clearer. The ones provided by Hobbyboss are totally inadequate. They indicate the colours, but not the pattern.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 05:41 PM UTC
Good.....glad that helps.

Best wishes,

Ian
GawainBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 - 01:32 AM UTC
I finally finished this model. Pretty happy with the overal result, but I can't recommend the model. Very bad molding and fit with very unclear paint instructions, as per above. The cockpit displays were from an A version and the HUD was too high to fit under the windscreen, for example.
I finally went with a limited AtA loadout, to save the bombs for my Revell kit. Going to paint that one as a VF-2 CAG bird.
 _GOTOTOP