Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/144 BoB Sweet Hurricane x2
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
The Battle of Britain has fascinated me ever since I was a small kid. I think I was about 12 when I first read Len Deighton's "Fighter: the True Story of the Battle of Britain" (yes, there was a Swedish translation ). Apart from everything else of interest in that book I learned the astonishing fact that it was the Hurricane that saved the day during those hot summer and autumn months 75 years ago! Having known this fact for more than 30 years, I admit feeling ashamed that I have never built a Hurricane! Time to change that sad fact...

I've picked up several of the very nice small-scale Sweet kits lately, this is one of them:

Boxart, absolutely first-class!

A fine selection of different BoB-aces' aircraft, I'll do the ones of Ian R Gleed and Pete Brothers.

As is common to many 144-scale fighter kits, there are two kits in each box. What makes this one a bit odd is that one of the kits is completely cast in clear plastic!

Finally, a very comprehensive set of decals!

Magnus
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:44 PM UTC
Splendid! Sweet models is certainly a leader of the industry. The clear plastic one could be interesting, but after all, styrene is all clear when it is new.

This will be good!
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:09 PM UTC
Looks like a very nice kit, Magnus ! Happy modelling with this one.
Collected in the last month some 1/144 aircraft kits, may your build give me some motivation
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 04:47 PM UTC
Jonathan! I almost agree with you, I would say that Sweet are in for a close draw with Eduard. On the other hand, when it comes to subjects Sweet are way ahead ! Clear plastic: I find it a bit scary, I am worried that it will turn out more brittle than ordinary grey plastic!

Bernd! Tiny-scale is worth trying, I got into it as the result of a challenge from a friend (he never finished his though:) )! From that moment on I do one every now and then. It is both relaxing, fun and rather different!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2015 - 11:14 PM UTC
75 years ago today...

One of Churchill's "few"...

...and his Hurricane...

Magnus
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi Magnus,
I'm follow along.
Your has reminded me that I really must get a new copies Len Deightons books Fighter and Blitzkrieg.

Cheers

Chris
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 01:13 PM UTC
Chris! I had no idea that he had done "Blitzkrieg", I've added that to my reading list ! Two other Len Deighton books that are worth seeking out are "Bomber" and "Goodbye Mickey Mouse", I've read both of them several times and am right now finishing "Mickey Mouse" once again, this time finally reading it in english.

Magnus
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 10:21 PM UTC
Magnus,
I've officially signed up to follow your duel 1/144 build. I still don't know how you guys can actually see those tiny aircraft. Even 1/48 scale is starting to get a little on the small side for me for props these days.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC
Joel! The one and only time where myopia has any positive effect at all: building of small scale kits! Close-up work is no problem, the limiting factor is the tip of my nose ! And thanks for keeping me company!

They are really quick builds these kits...

...with the clear plastic one looking rather untidy!

All set up for a primer coat! "Dummy canopies" from the grey sprue attached using MicroMask protecting the cockpits.

On the subject of clear plastic: a very clever trick from Sweet to avoid an extra sprue for the clear parts but as a builder I must admit it was a LOT harder building a clear kit than I expected: it is very difficult to see seams and blemishes and the plastic is rather brittle.

Magnus
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 - 01:36 AM UTC
Very interesting, the clear plastic kit, and the canopies on both clear and grey plastic. As you say, clever kit design. I wonder if this is a feature of their other kits. I have only done the Wildcat, in that box you get one grey and one blue, and separate glass parts.

Did you consider to spray primer the outside face of the parts before building, to help with visualization?
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 - 01:47 AM UTC
Jonathan! I thought I had more of them but the only other kit I have from Sweet is a 109F and that one is entirely conventional when it comes to canopies: an ordinary clear sprue!

Nope, I never considered pre-painting the parts but this could possibly been the occasion for that !

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 - 05:08 AM UTC
I'm following as well Magnus, neat work so far. Entire aircraft on sticks!

Cheers, D
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 - 03:06 PM UTC
Hello Magnus,

very nice and neat build. I guess, the clear plastic would drive me crazy. Not only, that those 1/144 parts are really small, but when they fall down, they must be nearly invisible. That is, what I call a carpet kit, cause I would spend more time onto the carpet searching, than building on the bench .

Oliver
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi Magnus,
I have a copy of Goodbye Mickey Mouse on my bookshelf so it might be time for to read it again.I'd forgotten about 'Bomber' so I'll have to pick up a copy.

Blitzkrieg is a favorite of mine as it gives a good insight into the political situation after WW1 and the development of Blitzkrieg as a new way forward in warfare.

Slightly off topic I know but I love to read,you can never have enough books.

Oh by the the Hurricanes are looking good.

Chris
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 04:06 PM UTC
Looking good Magnus, two little beauties. Working with clear plastic can be a pain.
Thats probably a stealth Hurricane from sweet
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 02:16 PM UTC
Friends! These have been sitting idle for a few months but while waiting for some other stuff to dry I managed to get them moving once again!

I am almost sure that it was the canopy masking that put me off these last autumn but I got it over with the other night, then it was quite straightforward to shoot a coat of Sky on the lover surfaces!

Magnus
 _GOTOTOP