Modern aircraft of the United States.
Phantom 2
Hawkeye
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hey guys, normally i build armour and hang out with the track heads here, but have had an interest in Phantoms every since i built aircraft as a kid.I recently decided to buy the 1/48th scale Revell Phantom F. I have the Aires resin cockpit for it, and the engine cowlings, is there anything else i need to replace. By replace i mean are there any suspect areas in the base kit, and is this kit a good representation of the Phantom?

I don;t want to go over board with after market parts but i would like to produce a decent replica. Also is there any problems with this kit? Can i make a Vietnam era plane from it, or an Israeli one circa the 6 day war?

Any advice/help/suggestions are gratefully appreciated

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
I dont have the kit but it should just be the old molds they have for the Monogram kit, so you really shouldnt have to use the AM parts for it but hey, whatever floats your boat.

The Israeli's didnt have F-4's during the 1967 Six-Day War, but they did have them forthe 1973 Yom Kippur War. And I believe you will not be able to use it for a Vietnam-era F-4E, I can't recall if the Midas-4 gun barrel design was actually used along with the leading edge slats ona same aircraft during the war.
bat-21
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Namur, Belgium
KitMaker: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:28 AM UTC
Basically the revell one is a hasegawa mold.
you need just to add some details in the cockpit tub and add some weighted tires.
for vietnam era be sure that in an unslatted wings and stabilator and check the antenna on the back. some modification were made directly by front unit for specific missions ( fac-bomber-countermeasure) only the doc can help you.
israeli a/c same remarks early version only were used during 6 days war. but here also you ned doc as iaf refurbish F4 with specific israeli stuff.
Bat-21
bat-21
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Namur, Belgium
KitMaker: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:29 AM UTC
Sorry i confused 6 days war with yom kippur war.
Bat-21
Hawkeye
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions/help guys

and it is me that got confused, i meant the Yom Kippur conflict, not the 6 day war. But as usual i was trying to do two things at once and not succeeding at either

Regards from teh Swamp

Hawkeye
 _GOTOTOP