_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Dragon 1/35 UH-1D decal problem
jacksdad64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:16 PM UTC
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is an accuracy problem with the decals supplied with Dragon's UH-1D (the Vietnam boxing)
Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it all the marking options or just one?
And am I as well getting Fireballs Slicks sheet? ;-)
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:41 PM UTC
Yup, you probably want to get the Fireball UH-1 Slicks decals. The kit ones are incomplete as there is no tail number for "The Widow Mrs. Jones" on the decal sheet, and the fonts on the national insignia and the tail numbers are not correct for a US Army helo.
jacksdad64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup, you probably want to get the Fireball UH-1 Slicks decals. The kit ones are incomplete as there is no tail number for "The Widow Mrs. Jones" on the decal sheet, and the fonts on the national insignia and the tail numbers are not correct for a US Army helo.

That answers that then.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC
Here is a full list of issues with it, as told to me from one of its pilots. I knew I had more info at home.

"The kit decals for the 121st AHC Soc Trang Tigers needs a small improvement. The name "The Good Widow Mrs. Jones" should be written above the nose painting on the battery/radio compartment cover. The Tiger head on each pilot's door should have a Blue Lightning Flash, and not red. The 121st Assault Helicopter Company had three platoons. The 1st Platoon had a White Lightning Flash, call sign White Tiger. The 2nd Platoon had a Blue Lightning Flash, call sign Blue Tiger. The 3rd Platoon was the Gun Platoon with UH-1B's, call sign Vikings, no Tigers head, they had their own Viking markings on the door & nose. The foot step on the skids, below the pilots door were also normally painted White or Blue for the reasons stated below. Also on the tailboom, ahead of the stabilizer, was a White Triangle with a much smaller Red Triangle inside it. All 121st a/c had this marking. The Stabilizer should be red only on top, below stayed OD. This was for recognition purposes from above. This was same reason for the white stripes on the tops of the main rotor blades for most of the Vietnam Hueys."

jacksdad64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
Many thanks for sharing that Gino.
Anmoga
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hi Gino,

What fonts should be used on the national insignia and the tail numbers for a US Army helo?

Thanks in advance,
Angel
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gino,

What fonts should be used on the national insignia and the tail numbers for a US Army helo?

Thanks in advance,
Angel

The font is called Amarillo USAF.
Anmoga
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:30 AM UTC
Thanks Gino for your help.

Best regards,
Angel