_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Why don't you build Luft 46?
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi all,
Taking a leaf out of Yodaman,s book...jusy as a sort of poll, I ask why so few of us consider Luft 46 as a viable and acceptable area for modelling?
Thanks
Peter

mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:11 AM UTC
I think that most Luft 46 are limited runs so that might have somethjing to do with it. For me personally, it's difficult enough for me to get something different, something other than mainstream models like a spitfire or Bf109 . If I was able to have a choice, I would probably have a closer look.
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hi mossieramm,
true, many Luft 46 kits could be classed as limited run, but there are just as many that seem to have larger production runs...Huma, PM, Revell and Special Hobby to name a few companies and prices are often little different to mainstream subjects. And there are a massive selection of concept aircraft avaiable, including Nations other than Germany.
Hope you do take a closer look.
Thanks for the interest.
You won the Golden Joystick Award for being the first...and so far..the only reply.
Cheers
Peter
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 04:23 AM UTC
I build Luft'46 along with IJAAF'46...

Mika
Ranger74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 04:54 AM UTC
I have enough trouble building all my kits of 20's and 30's aircraft. I don't need to get started on Luft'46
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:21 AM UTC
flitzer - I find Luft '39-'45 very interesting so I don't often venture toward Luft '46. I must admit I do like the odd or off beat bit every now and again, so I have a few Huma prototype aircraft, but I don't go in for the stuff that never flew except for as a wad toward a waste can. There is some interesting stuff there, but I'm sticking to my guns "it has to have flown at least as a prototype". No foul, model on
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:14 PM UTC
Thanks to all for your comments.
But if I may enlarge on the term Luft 46. It refers to the idea of what-if the war had lasted another year or two and what might have been in the air.
This covers concepts and projects on paper, development/wind tunnel models and prototypes from ALL the Nations involved in the war...not just Germany. So for example the Vampire could count as Luft 46 as it was designed in '43 and prototyped before the war's end.
More food for thought...what's for pudding?
Cheers
Peter
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:31 PM UTC
I do not consider building anything that was not built in actuality. Building a piece of history is not the same as building what might have been. So, fantasy just doesn't enter into my equation.
capnjock
mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 07:46 PM UTC
Thanks for the award, it's my first
I think it depends on what someone thinks is Luft 46, looking at your last reply, the Do 335 could count as a Luft 46. I have two of those in the pile. :-)
I think Luft 46 would be aircaft that was designed before the end of the war, perhaps prototyped, but didn't see any active service, during or after the war.
Do you build Luft 46 ?? Which one did you enjoy the most ??
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi mossieramm,
you are spot on. The Do 335 did see action late in the war but was too late to make a big impact. But it could be included in the general term Luft 46 as its kind of got a foot (or a wheel) in each camp.
Hope you enjoy building them.

Cheers
Peter
 _GOTOTOP