_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Which 1/35 Huey???
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:56 AM UTC
Which one Academy / Mrc or Panda?
m60a3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:02 AM UTC
It depends on the type Huey you want. If you want the shorter fuselage B or C, then Acad/MRC. If you want the longer fuselage, then it's Panda.
Academy and MRC kits are nice and crisply detailed. Panda is a blown up version of the Italeri UH-1 series. I've seen it an thought it wasn't too bad.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
I dont know the Panda but I built MRC kit before.It was really good.Here you can find a review and sprue photos of the Academy/MRC kit
best regards
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
I have the 1/35 UH-1D 1st Cav and I have to say, it is nice but it really lacks detail in some parts. So basically they could have done a whole lot better job than they did. But being that its the only -D model in 1/35 I went ahead and took the bullet and got it. Now I'm hearing that in fact most of the model is in fact a -H and Cobra Company has a update set to correct the problems on it making it a complete -H.
Yellow013
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC
From what I understand, the Academy/MRC make the best gunship hueys, I've built a Panda twin engine huey, and I didn't like it much. Soft detail, not alot of parts
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
Panda doesnt make a 1/35 Charlie gunship though and thier Delta versions arent gunships either so Academy is the only choice. However, there is a company that I have never heard of that has released a 1/35 Charlie gunship but I believe its the MRC molds.
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 07:58 AM UTC
howdy guys,

I've built both the huey versions from panda and I wasn't to impressed.. mrc has some nice onces as well but I came acorss some fit problems... I still feel the old revell/germany UH-1 is a good kit molds may be old but theres a ton of room to improve the kit an with some of the added goodies that CC has come out with it gives that old bird a new life.. *IMHO* I've built many of the R/G UH-1'a and still to this day buy them when I find them.. chuckles damn near have a complete air cav div including Loach's some with lights others in the stages of getting thier lights.. but for the most part *sorry for getting off topic* each company has thier fine points.. would be interesting to see all 2 of those guys come together to make a true series of Hueys from the Alfa up to the Hotel

anyways I got paint fumes an glue fumes to sniff..

laters

Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 10:04 PM UTC
As we speak i am at 80% of completing the Huey - C "Frog" building 1/35 of Academy .
The kit is good in general most good than i expected maybe. But i have occured some problems that i dont know if they are in the specific box or the entire production.

1) The decals are too thick and they cannot follow the detail easily even with improvement solutions
2) The two halves of fuselage showed me fit together problem and i have to shave of the round line of the cockpit block to make it fit
3) The clear parts are thick (at least for me )
4) some bar like parts are too thin and very easy to break

on the other hand the detail is fine there is much room for further improvement to the engine area and in the cockpit also . There are plenty of parts and many will be left for the spares box. It comes in a fairly good price and it ends to a very nice fitted model.
It is a very nice experience to build 1/35 helis and i am planning to make a series of Academy's ones cause there are many interesting themes.

mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Panda doesnt make a 1/35 Charlie gunship though and thier Delta versions arent gunships either so Academy is the only choice. However, there is a company that I have never heard of that has released a 1/35 Charlie gunship but I believe its the MRC molds.

I've got the models zachs talking about ithey are by a korean company called smr I think they done both a C&D or B&C at work so not sure anyway from what I got told academy took over the molds hopefully tidied them up abit as the molding is a bit heavy in places lots of flash and BIG sink marks my kit has the cockpit anti skid floor 1/2 molded the figs look a bit crap too oh well hopefully it should look good once I sort it out someday
 _GOTOTOP