_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Another tiny MiG: Tiger Fishbed MiG21MFN
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi all,

As i needed a break from my S-55 after the troubles with the matt varnish, i decided to start on my 'MikroMiG'.

Subject of this build is Eduards Mig21MFN in 1/144 scale which will be build in a Czech Airforce Tiger outfit:

More pictures of this machine are available here:
http://czechairspotters.com/search.php?registration=2500

I will add some extra detail by means of two Brengun PE sets:

The first set is detail for the MiG21 and the second will provide me some stuff for a small display.

I even bought a Mig21 pilot, also from Brengun.

First step in this build are building the interior parts, like the cockpit and seat.

I won't use the Brengun IP (they provide three different ones!), as the Eduard IP is fine enough.

After priming with Tamiya Fine Surface primer from the can, the IP was painted black and then I colored the IP by applying a wash of the main color on the IP. The wash settled very well around the dials.

Other detail was painted as well with this being the final result:

From the Brengun set, I used the side consoles.

The side consoles (which again were provided for three types by Brengun) are actually the ones for a 'late'MiG21MF, as this was the initial plan (the Czech airforce Mig21 with splinter camo, will do that one later). but this stuff is so small and not very visible, so nobody will spot the difference.

The side consoles were also painted, but after airbrushing a black base, I now airbrushed the main color instead of using a wash. The various details were brush painted, but not everything is painted the correct way. However, i am happy with the result.

[/URL]

The black panels contain small dents representing the switches and these are highlighted with a white wash, but this is not very visible in the photo's.

Eduard provides two types of seats; one seat with the canopy closed and one with the canopy open. The latter sits a bit higher, but I don't know why.

Brengun provided me the seatbelts and the seat was again primed, sprayed black and brush was used for the colors.

More will follow soon.

Jelger
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eduard provides two types of seats; one seat with the canopy closed and one with the canopy open. The latter sits a bit higher, but I don't know why.

The shorter seat fits under the canopy when it's closed, taking into account the thickness of the canopy. You could vac-form a canopy and use the taller seat if you're really after accuracy, or simply leave it open
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:54 AM UTC
Beautiful Jelger! I wish I had gotten myself some photoetch for mine.

Magnus
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments and explanation.

I have searched the web for a vac-form canopy, but i wasn't able to find one. This MiG21 will have the canopy open, to view the detail in the cockpit and a nice thin canopy would look better than the Eduard one, which actually isn't too bad at all.

Magnus, the Brengun set contains an IP and side consoles for at least 3 MiGs and as i have plans to only build two, i can send the other parts to you, if you wish. Just let me know.

Jelger
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:40 PM UTC
You guys are amazing! Can't wait to see how it comes out, Jelger.
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hello Jelger,

sorry about Your varnish disaster with Your S-55, but I hope You will fond a remedy. Meanwhile I am happy to see Your new project growing nicely!

Oliver
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 02:32 PM UTC
Jelger! Thanks for your generous offer but I've already closed the lid :-) !

Magnus
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hi all,

During the Christmas holidays i had some time for work on my MiG-21.

After closing the fuselage and doing some sanding, I am now busy with adding a lot of very small PE stuff from the Brengun set.

On the nose a 1 mm2 Angle-of-Attack sensor was glued. Two sensors were included in the PE set (probably if you lose one), but within 5 minutes i lost both... Fortunately, I managed to find one on the floor

I also added the square black antenna of the backup radio on the spine of the MiG, which is typical of an MFN type. This part was included in the Brengun set.

The part that resembles the GsH-23 cannon on the belly of the MiG was modified by replacing the front part with two pieces of round styrene rod. it looks better now and it was a very easy fix. But no, I will not drill out the barrels .

Yup, it starts to look like a MiG-21

Next will be adding more PE antenna's, so that is why my MiG is put on a stick, as most antenna are located on the belly.

There is a gap between the spine and fuselage, but i am still in doubt how to tackle this. I can fill the gap with putty, but that messes up the paint work where the seat rests. However, I can also glue the seat a bit higher so the gap will be hidden, but i am not sure how good that will turn out. Well, enough time to find a solution .

Jelger
 _GOTOTOP