_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Finally back online
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 03:26 AM UTC
Last Sunday my 3 year old HP All in one computer decided it was time for the motherboard to die. Well, it didn't pay dollar and sense wise to buy a replacement MB for what is essentially a laptop on steroids, so I went shopping for a new computer. This time I wanted to go back to my roots and get a mid size tower so I could upgrade and fix as needed myself. I decided on a Dell computer and a HP 25 inch monitor. No need to upgrade to Win10 as it comes with it, but the massive Nov upgrade won't install for 30 days. Been at it for days installing programs, and tweaking this and that. Of course it never dawned on my that I would need new speakers, and only discovered that I had no sound when I tried streaming live TV. So back to the store for a set of decent speakers.

Finally I'm at the point where I can make adjustments and tweaks as needed, so I can now spend some quality time back on Aeroscale, and get back to some serious modeling. Can't remember the last time I haven't modeled for this period of time.

Joel
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 05:03 AM UTC
Good to have you back Joel.
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 08:20 AM UTC
Was wondering where you were.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 09:19 AM UTC
Good to have you back, Joel. I'm not tech savvy enough to tweak a computer and models are more fun!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 12:51 PM UTC
I have a 24oz Estwing that I use to perform percussive maintenance on my computer, that's as tech savvy as I get!

Great to have you back in full swing Joel.

Cheers, D
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
Nice one Joel!

I let Windows 10 do its latest update first thing this morning and it was a whopper! I had to leave the pooter running while I went to work, so I've no idea how long it finally took, but it had masses left to do after 1 & 1/2 hours - so, allow plenty of time when you do yours.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 12:10 AM UTC
Thanks all. Worked overnight last night, so I got a real late start this morning trying to catch up on the goings on here.

Rowan, I'm counting the days till that massive Nov. update will install. I had it on my other computer, and Win 10 was 10 times better.

As I mentioned before, not only am I a avid aircraft modeler, but I've suppressed my deep seated interest in race car modeling since I got back into the hobby. But I've come out of the closet, and will be alternating my builds moving forward. I do plan on getting more involved with the Automodeler site, and posting my work there as well. I've shelved the 1/43 concept for while, and have gone back to the standard scales.

1st build after/during the Academy/Accurate Miniature B-15B will be the old Accurate Miniature McLaren M8B 1969 Can Am Team car. Will be doing Denny Hulme rather the McLaren as it was his turn to win the championship that year.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP