_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Testor's Semi-Gloss instead of Future?
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:22 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I am working against the "Hanger Queen" deadline. Instead of breaking out the Future and spending a half day trying to get a good gloss coat before applying the decals I am wondering if "rattle can" Testor's semi-gloss clear would work? Has anyone tried it with success?
I am building a F4U-1D in overall Sea Blue and was planning to apply a second semi-gloss coat over the decals and then use a thin wash of Payne's Gray oil paint for the panel lines. Would this be a sound method? Any help y'all could give me would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Don "Lakota"
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:21 AM UTC
hi don.
i use testors glosscote all the time on my aircraft. i would think the semi-gloss would be the same.
for me i usually give a good shot of the gloss then decals. i don't even bother with another coat over the decals. i use mineral spirits in my wash and go right over the decals with it. after it is dry i spray a coat or two of testors dullcote. i don't use future at all except for my canopies.
i would use the glosscote instead though just to make sure you don't get any silvering.
joe
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi don.
i use testors glosscote all the time on my aircraft. i would think the semi-gloss would be the same.

I definitively support the following statement:

Quoted Text

would use the glosscote instead though just to make sure you don't get any silvering.
joe

Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC
Thank you Joe & Drabslab,
I'll look around for some glosscoat. My LHS is 200 miles away if I don't have any.
I've never had very good luck with Future on my aircraft models. The stuff is "self leveling" so it runs into the nooks and crannies if I use too much. I end up having to put it on in very thin layers which takes a long time. I love the stuff for other models. I wouldn't think of not using Future for my armor models.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:20 AM UTC
The whole idea of a gloss surface is to have the decals laydown without any silvering issues due a rough texture, hence the glossier the better. Semi gloss is just that, half way between gloss and matt. While better then nothing, it won't give you the smooth surface you're looking for.

Whether you use a rattle can or air brush, the end result will be about the same, just a semi gloss finish.

I've always applied a gloss coat over the decals which accomplishes two things: it seals the decals, and helps to blend them into the finish. Some decals can react to the base of a wash, causing the inks to move.

Joel
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 08:35 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I thought I'd give an update. I tried the Testor's gloss coat from a rattle can and it went on beautifully. I've stopped work on my Corsair for the time being. I will use it in the "Duel II" campaign starting in a few days. I will put another coat on after I decal; the plane is supposed to be a glossy blue anyway. The photos I've studied show various finishes, from flat to "patchy" semi-gloss Sea Blue for late war USN planes.
Thanks for the help.
Don "Lakota"
 _GOTOTOP