_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Accurate Miniatures
woodstock74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:43 PM UTC
Does any one have any recent information about this company? Just found out they are (were?) Charlotte based, I even have an address to check out. However, for all I know it's someone local using a coincidentally similar name selling something like NASCAR diecasts. If I have time I'm going to try and swing by the next few days as they are in a small industrial park only about 20 minutes away.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC
No real clue, I'd heard that they'ed gone out of business and most of the tool got picked up by Academy. But that's all internet rumor, so hopefully someone knows what the real story is...
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:07 PM UTC
Pretty sure they've been out of business for some time now (unfortunately). Certainly all their kits that are out there now are under other labels.

Michael
Grauwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC
Originally Charlotte, NC based then moved to Concord, NC.
As to where is stands now?

MRC still distributing under original label.

Cheers,
Joe
woodstock74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:27 PM UTC
Well I couldn't resist and I stopped by at the address. Alas, they are no longer there. Though I did chat with the current tenant, a small precision design and machining company, S&G Precision wwwsgpllc.us. Current owner thinks they might still be around as they occasionally still receive mail directed to Accurate Miniatures.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:40 AM UTC
Accurate Miniatures went out of business years ago. There molds were all sold to other manufactures, and to some extent resold once again. Academy seems to be the current owner.

the Academy B-25B is the old Accurate Miniatures kit. Unfortunately, the mold for the fuselage was modified to represent a C/D rather then a early B, which has left yours truly with a lot of extra work to back date it correctly.

their kits are complex, but built right, still produce some excellent models. the only kits that I've never seen released under any different manufacture is their entire SB2U Vindicator series. I finally got one last month off of ebay.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi there

While most of the moulds were sold off, as Joe says MRC now own the brand and still market a number of the original kits:

http://www.modelrectifier.com/all-brands/Accurate-Miniatures.asp

I'm tempted to try to buy an F3F direct from them (although they don't advertise that they ship overseas) because it can cost an arm and a leg this side of The Pond.

All the best

Rowan
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC
Same story as Classic Airframes. Quality begets failure too often.

EXCEPT
The CA molds all appear to be under lock and key to this very day. Which is both disappointing and dumb. They're so pricey on the Bay no one can bring themselves to buy or build them. And every year the molds sit on a shelf is a year they get superseded and become more obsolete /outdone by others. Someone is sitting on a goldmine and filling it in with concrete.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Same story as Classic Airframes. Quality begets failure too often.

EXCEPT
The CA molds all appear to be under lock and key to this very day. Which is both disappointing and dumb. They're so pricey on the Bay no one can bring themselves to buy or build them. And every year the molds sit on a shelf is a year they get superseded and become more obsolete /outdone by others. Someone is sitting on a goldmine and filling it in with concrete.

Richard,
Are you sure that they actually still exist? Sounds more like they were melted down before anyone realized their value.
Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Some of them certainly do - Hannants re-commissioned a run of Blenheims recently.

I actually splashed out on another original CA Whirlwind on E-Bay when the dismal Trumpeter was released - it worked out as good value compared with the cost of making something half-decent from the new kit.

All the best

Rowan
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:14 AM UTC
I can provide a little insight to Accurate Miniatures. Yes, the company is gone and has been for several years. I had the privilege of getting recruited, along with other members of my IPMS Chapter, to do some of the box art builds for Accurate during the tenure of their first reincarnation in the early 2000's under the Habovick-Collins, Myers brothers management. This was when they started using the white box packaging. Unfortunately, when Habovick-Collins got the company there was a substantial amount of debt from Round One in the early 90's. However, we had a blast working with Thomas Myers and his brothers when the company was getting rejuvenated in the Habovick-Collins years. They had some great kit ideas on deck like a 48th scale Beaufighter and a 48th scale F-100. I think the box art shots of the Beaufighter even made it into SAMI at one point. Unfortunately, the Tamiya Beau and the Trumpeter Hun got released before the Accurate offerings and they never saw the light of day. Thomas Myers, sadly, passed away. He was a great artist, very creative and a good friend. If any of you have the Accurate Miniatures Vindicator kit you will note it has a beautiful Vindicator print inside the box. These were done by Thom and are really beautiful renderings of the "Wind Indicator". I still have both prints from both kits and cherish them to this day. Anyway, Accurate Miniatures began to wane and the rest is history. However, we all enjoyed getting the opportunity to build some planes for box art and brochures. Towards the end, we got to do some builds for kits that I don't think ever got released. Our chapter president got to build the PBJ variant of the Mitchell and I got to do, "Bonnie B", a P-51B/C reboxing of their Mustang kit. It was fun while it lasted.

Happy modeling,

Ian
woodstock74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:44 PM UTC
In spite of their obvious business issues I was heartened by the fact there still was a physical address listed. However the current building tenants seemed to indicate they've been in their for 2 years, so at least up until 2 years ago Accurate Miniatures was soldiering on, if only as a place holder.
 _GOTOTOP