Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa 1/32 Bf09 F-4 Trop
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:10 PM UTC
I have been working my way through different model manufacturers 1/32 scale offering of the Bf109. My most recent effort was Hasegawa's F-4 Trop, with a resin figure of Hans Joachim Marseilles. I used Aires' cockpit set and Eduard's masks for the canopy and RB turned brass 7.92mm barrels. The kit and the figure went together very well, with the only tricky area being cleaning up the upper cowling seams. I put the kit slightly behind the Cyberhobby 109. The figure was easy to assemble and was painted with acrylics and artist's oils. I made a simple base out of pine wood and covered it with a plaster mix, painting it a couple different shades of brown. I plan to show the pictures in several posts as there are several of them.

First up are several overall ground level shots. I was a bit lazy and did not setup my photo tent; arranging my airbrush cabin as an impromptu photo tent.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:18 PM UTC
Following are some overall photos taken from an elevated perspective. I forgot to mention previously that the aircraft represents one Marseilles flew circa June 1942. I wanted to simulate a strong desert sun with the photos so I shot them with a lot of direct and overhead light.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:29 PM UTC
Here are several "mid-distance" shots that focus more on certain areas of the aircraft. I hate to admit it, but this build, for both the aircraft and the figure were pretty average efforts for me. I am not really that thrilled with how well my paint fading turned out and the figure's face is "functional" at best.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:33 PM UTC
Here are a few shots of the Marseilles figure. This is a very good resin casting that I could have done better justice to through painting. I also included a few detail photos.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:36 PM UTC
I'll finish up with some pictures of the cockpit and canopy. I hope everyone enjoyed the photos!

redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:02 AM UTC
Ernest

That's a very nice (build and presentation) Me 109 and I particlarly like the sun bleaching effects on the wings.

Thank you for the tremendous pictures as well.

Gary
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:06 AM UTC
I think it looks great! The only thing that jumps out is the way the panels over the mg17 breeches mate with the fuselage side walls which you mentioned. Very well done!

Gary
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi Ernest

Beautiful finish - and I love the little detail touches like the radio aerial insulator.

I wish I could paint an "average" figure so well!

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:30 AM UTC
Ernest,
That's one excellent build of a rather old Hasegawa kit. I must take exception to your statement about the paint fading. I personally thought that it really looks quite well done on the wing surfaces as one can easily see the unevenness of the sun's bleaching effect.

Your figure looks pretty good to me, as I have no clue on how to paint them.

Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:08 PM UTC
Thank you for the kind comments guys. I used one of True Earth's fading products to get the fading effect. There is a bit of a learning curve and you really have to pay attention while airbrushing it to avoid getting too much in certain areas.

Joel, I did not like how the figure's face turned out. I was way too conservative with my light/shadow contrasts and as a result it looks a bit flat.

Again, thank you for the kind comments!
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hallo Ernest,

fantastic looking Friedrich. I like the fading of the plane very much. Presentation and figure are lovely, too.
Can You explain me, why only the rear tire is whitened and not the tires of the main landing gear.

Oliver
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hallo Oliver, Grüße aus Bayern! The reason only the rear tire is a white wall and not the tires of the main gear is because that particular "Friedrich" Wr. 10137, had a whitewall rear tire, which were relatively uncommon. I do not know why some rear tires had whitewalls and most did not; though it may have had something to do with tires being delivered by different manufactures.

Grüße,
Ernest

Quoted Text

Hallo Ernest,

fantastic looking Friedrich. I like the fading of the plane very much. Presentation and figure are lovely, too.
Can You explain me, why only the rear tire is whitened and not the tires of the main landing gear.

Oliver

simon64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:02 PM UTC
Great looking model well done. I found looking at your photo's that the blue back ground you have used really makes the model stand out and makes all of the detail and your execelent work so much easier to see and admire
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 05:43 PM UTC
Hi Simon, thank you for your kind words about my build. One of these days I am going to take some proper photos of it; have to overcome my laziness at setting up the photo tent first though!

Ernest

Quoted Text

Great looking model well done. I found looking at your photo's that the blue back ground you have used really makes the model stand out and makes all of the detail and your execelent work so much easier to see and admire

_GOTOTOP