Hosted by Rowan Baylis
KG200 P-51B
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi everyone. I was yearning for building a few of the captured birds flown by the KG200 for a while now. Since I have the Sweet's 1/144 POW Mustangs kit including the T9+HK and decals I decided to spare one of my 1/72 Revell P-51B kits confident that I could improvise the decals. Another big mistake. To start with the kit is a really nice detaild and rather good fitting one but usual to the contemporary (late 1990s) Revell Germany kits has a horrible clear sprue. Canopy fitting became my first issue. After applying the metalic and yellow paints I started to apply decals following the photos I have and the Sweet instructions. Soon I realised although I have suitable crosses(Ok I sacrificed a few other models) I do not have the suitable letter...just numbers. Lower wing marks could be improvised from modern USAF letters and numbers but the side letters were a nightmare. Seems like only letters I lacked were H and K. Not letting this stop me since they are rather easy letters I decided to kut the masks by hand. Result was like this:

The initial result was not bad but then while checking the photo of the aircraft from the right side I realised Sweet was not right and it looked as HK+T9 instead of T9+HK...
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC
Shaking the initial shock and leaving everything to dry and my nerves to calm overnight foloowing day I decided to try my girlfriend's Cricut since I was using it to cut another aricraft's roundels too. After a few coats of paint and sanding and painting again (3 times to be precise....not easy to be an idiot) result was satisfactory.

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:51 PM UTC
Then applied the final decals, applied oil, grime and soot. Removed the dreaded canopy masks and called it a day in the last day of the 2015.

Cheers
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:49 AM UTC
COOOOOOOL!!! This is a nice tiny POW!!! And to make your own marks... A lot of patience!!!
 _GOTOTOP