Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Mustang III
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hello everyone. This is one of my seldom OOB finishes. I generally invent myself troubles and make a great fuss of an easy model. Kit is Revell Germany's rebox of 1/72 P-51B/Mustang III from late 1990s. As usual has beautiful detail, rather good fit and a horrible clear sprue which turns kit build into a nightmare. I used Humbrol paints and since Revell almost never manages to give universal standards for paints I went with Airfix's Hurricane colour suggestions. About the end of the build, while trying to find out how to make the radio antenna I found an actual photo of the aircraft....and yeah, it was not a Mustang III but a P51-B direct from USAAF reserve with Olive Drab upper and Natural Grey lower surfaces instead of the 2 tone camouflage a the instruction sheet suggested...

As you can guess I left it this way. Maybe later I can go and get another one and build it properly. Until then...cheers...
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 12:06 AM UTC
Yalım
All told, it's rather nicely done. The finish and decaling is near on perfect. I do see the issues with the clear canopy, but there isn't much you can do about it other then polishing it, then a bath in Future/Pledge.

My only question is the unusual finish on the back of the prop blades, or is that from the lighting?

Joel
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yalım
All told, it's rather nicely done. The finish and decaling is near on perfect. I do see the issues with the clear canopy, but there isn't much you can do about it other then polishing it, then a bath in Future/Pledge.

My only question is the unusual finish on the back of the prop blades, or is that from the lighting?

Joel

Inded , this is quite good actually, but ... never trust an instruction sheet. Certainly not one from times when accuracy was less of an issue.

Polishing the canopy with Tamiya polishing powder and then a layer of future may do miracles. Just watch out that you don't ruin the paint job, carefully mask the surrounding area first
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 03:47 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind remarks. Nope, your eyes are not playing games on you. Dust and small particles tend to sand off the rear surface of the propellers specially in over worked aircraft and in tropic areas. We don't always see them in photos because, a) generally they stay on the dark side of the photo, b)we don't realise since we don't look there much but it is a common effect. I just like to exegerate it, in some cases like this, it is just a personal choise.
The problem with the clear parts is not only them being not that clear but the actual parts are small or missing the edges and don't fit. I applied a final coat of future with brush afterwards but the material is just not clear enough inside. By inside I mean between the surfaces not the inner surface. I probably will try for vacuform next time.
phumbles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:56 PM UTC
Hi Yalym ,both this and the K.G.200 Mustang look good.Cheers Phil
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY