_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
WoW Sea Hornet done at last!...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi there,

As promised, here are some pics of the Classic Airframes 1/48 de Havilland Sea Hornet N.F. 21. It's finished barring a couple of areas:

The kit doesn't include a gunsight, and I'm still waiting for confirmation of what type was used.

The u/c doors don't fit at all like what I can see in photos, so I've just tacked them on while I try to get more detail on the real thing.

The air intakes on the wing were fitted with a door which closed when the aircraft was parked.

Laslty, and of course I only spotted this in a photo after I'd painted the kit, there should be small small blisters over the wing-fold hinges which, again, are missing from the kit.

Anyway, I enjoyed building this kit - sorry it's so late...

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 08:32 AM UTC
:-) Wow looks awsome, another very well done model Rowan. Everything looks spot on, I particularly like the the canopies and the landing gear What colour/method did you use to achieve the realistic look of the landing gear? :-) Are the canopies vac formed?
Mal
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC
Excellent job.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC
Hi Mal and Bryan

Cheers for the compliments. :-)

Yes, the canopies are vacuformed. Actually, I should have said above that the pilot's canopy doesn't quite match my reference pics - I think the rear framing should be heavier than on the kit parts.

A bit of advice for anybody building this kit; the moulded positions of the radar operator's canopy and hatch are very vague and don't line up that well with the resin inserts. Work very slowly and compare the canopy against the cutout frequently.

I actually managed to completely mess up the rear canopy twice! I really thought I'd blown it! The fact it looks presentable is down to MicroMesh Polishing Cloths and a couple of dips in Klear (Future).

As regards the undercarriage, I painted the parts with Model Master Buffing Metalizer - Stainless Steel. After I'd polished it, I brushed on a coat of Klear (Future), followed by a dirty wash of ink.

Overall, I might have over-weathered things a bit, but some of my reference pics show quite dirty aircraft.

All the best

Rowan
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
Merlin - NICE JOB. I always did like that color scheme, makes for a classy looking aircraft. I don't think you've over done the weathering, I'm not big on weathering but I think it bring this aircraft to another level.

Psssst - your left wing seam is showing.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Psssst - your left wing seam is showing.

Hi Chuck

Actually, on that one I plead "Not Guilty"! I admit you did have me running to check the model!

I think it must be a symptom of my over-weathering - see... I told you! ...the dark wing root isn't a dodgy joint - honest Guv'. ... or do you mean a different seam?

All the best

Rowan
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:31 AM UTC
A beautifully finished hornet, the weathering looks great. Congrarulations Rowan.
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:54 AM UTC
What a nice model!I really liked the subtle weathering! Congrats!
Ps- subtle-is the spelling right?
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 10:00 AM UTC
Merlin - You're right, it's probably a combo of your weathering and excellent paint job. In photo #1 it appears the leading edge is split, but I MADE YA LOOK.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ps- subtle-is the spelling right?

Hi Bus Yes! Spot on! :-) ... and thankyou!

Yes, thanks everyone, I truly appreciate the kind comments. Finishing this model is proof (to me at least :-) ) of just how great it is to be a part of Armorama... before joining, I would almost certainly have put this on one side, and I'd have never finished it.

I think the real credit has to go to Steve, who organised the WoW Campaign... he was so tolerant of late finishers like me. It's that kind of faith and encouragement that is a hallmark of everything that's so good about the Big-A! ... he's going to say I missed the extended deadline now ...

Cheers everyone

Rowan
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 11:19 PM UTC
I don't know Merlin w/o the gunsight you may not qualify as completing the Campaign.. #:-)

Seriously though she looks great. Very very nice paint job and weathering. This is one you should be very proud of.. Thanks for Sharing and Congrats on finishing her on the time alloted..

Paul
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 09:12 AM UTC
Rowan, that bird looks good!!!!!
About saying you missed another deadline would be wrong. Either way if I did say that you'd just blame me for making you run around England looking for Airfix kits!!!! I can see where CRS said you missed a seem. But its were the colours meet on the wing next to the Nacelle on the wing root.

Looks good thanks for finishing!!!! STUG
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC
Cheers Steve :-)

Fear not .. I haven't given up on my chase yet...

I see what you mean - but it isn't a seam - I don't know... maybe it's a combination of the shadow of a prop-blade with some pastel work... ... there's plenty of faults in this build (as I outlined above ), but, ironically, split leading-edges aren't among them!

More seriously, I really appeciate the extra time you've allowed to get the WoW entries in. It's been a really fun build and, it had to happen one day!... , it's given me the chance to actually finish one of the kits I've previewed for Armorama.

All the best

Rowan
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:00 PM UTC
Just beautiful,
great stuff Rowan.
Great scheme for the what-if Sra/1.
Thanks