Hosted by Rowan Baylis
56th FG P-47 Operation - UrbanPirate
UrbanPirate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:41 PM UTC
OK, it's about time I got this model started!
I'm going to be building the Tamiya 1/48 P47 Bubbletop as part of the Zemke Woolfpack Group Build.

It'll be my first group build and this will only really be my 2nd airplane model since being weaned off armour. So, I hope you guys will be kind but also constructive.

I've chosen to do 'Miss Fire' flown by Capt. Fredrick J Christensen of the 56th FG. I've chose this due to a number of reasons:
1. I live in Colchester, so Boxted is a stone's throw from where I live. I like the link that this group has to where I live.
2. I'm keen to do a bare metal finish, so I'll be using the new Vallejo metal colours
3. I'm going to use the Aires resin cockpit. Basically I want to try and use this medium. Never done it before.
4. The decal sheet is the one that comes with the book written by Tomasz Szlagor 'P47 Thunderbolt with the USAAF.

I'll upload some pictures when I work out how to upload them!

Oh, I'll also upload images of my first plan model ever, which is the P47 Spirit of Atlantic City. I started this last year, so won't count as part of the group build.

Cheers for now

D
Removed by original poster on 01/21/16 - 15:53:29 (GMT).
UrbanPirate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 02:27 AM UTC
Hi David.

Great to see your build log firing up here, and best of luck with your build. You will be sure to get plenty of help here, just don't be shy about posting plenty of progress shots and asking questions.

A quick tip for posting images full size, once you have your image in the gallery, hit the little brown button to the right of the "Linked Thumbnail" and this will bring up your "HTML CODE" which you then just copy and paste into the thread. I have circled these two items in the image below.

All things being good you will have a full sized image in your thread

I hope this makes sense.

Now, on with the styrene and resin mayhem!

Cheers, D

Edit: I have asked Admin to change your thread title to bring it in line with the others in this Group Build, hope that is ok.
UrbanPirate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi Damian

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

I've made a start on the resin cockpit, so will post some more pictures when there is something more interesting to look at!
Cheers
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:59 PM UTC
David,
Looking forward to following your build. It's a great kit, and a real winner in a Natural Metal Finish. I'm looking forward to your assessment of the Vallejo acrylic metallic, as I'm a Alcad guy.

One thing you might want to reconsider is the resin cockpit. the Tamiya one is excellent for detail, fit, and appearance.

Joel
UrbanPirate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:33 AM UTC
Thanks Joel

I'm using a resin cockpit as I bought it to get to learn how to use this medium. Never worked with resin before, so I thought I could treat the cockpit as a mini-model if you like.

I've nearly finished the Tamiya razorback and really liked the kit. Very forgiving for a newbie. I also have an Academy 1/48 P38 on the go too, and the kit quality is nowhere near. I hope to do that one as all metal finish too, representing an aircraft that was based at Wattisham nearby. I like the idea of building planes that have a local resonance and story. Ultimately, I'm keen to have a go at the Tamiya 1/32 Mustang. These models will be my test bed.

As for the Vallejo metal paints, I've gone for them as I like Vallejo so far and the thought of using alclad just looks too scary! I like the acrylic approach. Like the use of resin, the all metal finish will be a new experiment for me. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

Cheers

D

UrbanPirate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:29 AM UTC
Right, a quick update for you.

I've been playing with the resin cockpit. Basically cutting off the excess resin and trimming them up.

I've also been test fitting it into the main fuselage halves. No issues to report yet. So far so good.

Totalize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 02:22 AM UTC
David,

Great start. Like Joel I am an Alclad II guy so it will be interesting to see how the Vallejo stuff is applied and of course the results.

I need to get going on my build too. The Spitfire MKIIa I am doing in 1/32 has been taking up a lot of my spare time.

David.
UrbanPirate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:56 PM UTC
Alclad just looks too fiddly and messy for me. When I got back into the hobby about 14 months ago, I bought myself a entry level Iwata airbrush and a basic airbrush. I can't adjust the pressure on it or anything like that. It will be interesting to see how the Vallejo paints go through the airbrush, how much they need thinning etc.

I won't be that quick, so I'm sure you'll catch me up!

Cheers
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alclad just looks too fiddly and messy for me. When I got back into the hobby about 14 months ago, I bought myself a entry level Iwata airbrush and a basic airbrush. I can't adjust the pressure on it or anything like that. It will be interesting to see how the Vallejo paints go through the airbrush, how much they need thinning etc.

I won't be that quick, so I'm sure you'll catch me up!

Cheers

David,
Actually, Aclads are very easy to use. They're pre-thinned, so there is no quess work involved with thinning ratios. The smoother the base coat that you're applying the Alcad to the smoother the finish. Gloss black gives you the deepest museum shine. You can actually use a clear gloss as a base, and get a more operationally looking aircraft.

you adjust your compressor for a flow rate of 12psi or so, and keep the AB within a few inches of the surface, and keep the AB moving. Start each pass before the model, and end it after the model.

You adjust the psi flow rate by the regulator value on your compressor, while You adjust the paint/air mixture with the airbrush. If you have a double action AB, it's done with the trigger. Single action ABs like the Paasche H you just turn the cone to increase or decrease the amount of paint. I have both the Iwata Revolution M1 and M2 ABs and the paint adjustment is via knob at the end of the AB.

What two AB,s do you have?

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
Actually, Aclads are very easy to use.

Hi David.

I'm with Joel here, I find Alclad products very easy to use and with really good results. I have a very basic airbrush setup, Paasche-H and el-cheapo compressor. I use Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black acrylic as the primer then just sand as necessary, re-prime if required, then on with the Alclad. I shoot some generic lacquer thinner through the airbrush to clean it out, then within a short time I can mask and paint over the alclad with more acrylics for the anti-glare panels etc.

Seriously, you should give it a try.

A great article to read is ALCLAD ADVENTURES if you have time.

Cheers, D
UrbanPirate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:28 PM UTC
OK...I get the hint!!

I'll have to give it a go at some point. My airbrush is only a basic IWATA. The compressor does not have any psi adjustment on it. Again, it is very basic and only cost me about £90. It's all part of me easing myself into the hobby. Once I've had some fun and worked out what I want to do, I'll invest in some proper kit. This will be the time for me to try Alclad....all depending of course on how the Vallejo works out for me.

In regards to primer, I'm going to use a gloss black base, as suggested.

Cheers for the advice guys.

D
UrbanPirate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 01:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up on the Alclad adventures article. Very interesting and useful.

Cheers
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 05:51 PM UTC
Great to see another bare metal P-47 being build. I will do mine as well in this finish. Trying to make a well used finish, so less shiny.

Looking forward to see more of your build.

Jelger
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:11 PM UTC
David,
You should invest in a combination regulator and moisture trap for your compressor. They're cheap and can be removed and used on another compressor. The regulator is how you adjust the flow psi rate.

Iwata really doesn't make a cheap AB. if you have a Revolution, it's a great unit. Which one do you have? All have a air/paint mixture control.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 04:47 AM UTC
David, you haven't visited the forums since March this year, I'm hoping (against all odds) that you might have made some progress?????

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David, you haven't visited the forums since March this year, I'm hoping (against all odds) that you might have made some progress?????

Cheers, D

D,
A PM might be a better way to get a response. After all, we can't have to many P-47s now can we

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

D,
A PM might be a better way to get a response. After all, we can't have to many P-47s now can we

Joel

Hi Joel.

Sent PM as well, but if David isn't visiting the forums at all he won't see that either.

Either way, we need more P-47s as you so rightly observed !

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

D,

Joel

Hi Joel.

Sent PM as well, but if David isn't visiting the forums at all he won't see that either.

Either way, we need more P-47s as you so rightly observed !

Cheers, D

Damian,
I've got both a bubble and a razorback planned for the next two years in 1/32 scale, and will post both builds in the P-47 Heaven site as they show up in Aeroscale as well.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP