_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Proposal: Aviation Legends
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
With the passing of Eric Brown, I got to reminiscing about what I had learned about this legendary pilot and while searching for an image of the particular Grumman Martlet he flew in combat from the HMS Audacity, I began to wonder about and idea.

Eric Brown flew nearly 500 aircraft. How about a remberance build that features the planes he flew.

Another idea was a campaign saluting all aviators and their mounts. That could include Eric Brown as a prolific pilot, Yuri Gagarin as the first man in space, Lidya Litvak as a woman fighter ace, Chuck Yeager as the first trans-sonic pilot, etc. There's a lot of history and kits out there that can cover either subject.

Opinions or other ideas?
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 05:34 AM UTC
Great idea. I just finished a Lockheed Vega - made famous by Amelia Earhart and Wiley Post (the discoverer of the jet stream and inventor of the high altitude pressure suit) Many good subjects.
PrickleHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 09:55 AM UTC
Did not know of Eric Brown's passing so very sad. Had only watched a documentary on his life a couple of weeks ago. He was lucky to survive the sinking of the Audacity. Would enjoy being part of this campaign.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:16 AM UTC
Very cool idea Michael. This dredged up a faint memory from my solvent cement addled brain-box . . . . I started a thread back in January 2010 which never went anywhere but might be worth adding to this one to expand the scope. It began like this:

Quoted Text

I've had another Campaign idea (surprize surprize), how about a Campaign of Firsts ?

Any aircraft that could be demonstrated to have achieved a First.

The obvious First is the Wright Flyer, but you could do aircraft types (First Supersonic, First Jet, First Flying Boat, First Civilian Jet, First Supersonic Airliner, First to Break 400mph in level flight), or maybe focus on markings (First Ace of WWI, First Jet Ace by Nationality, First Aircraft to fly upside down under Sydney Harbour Bridge)

There would be hundreds of firsts out there, but could we put up a Campaign based on this theme?

I don't recall a Group Build based on the pilot rather than the aircraft, but I like the idea a lot.

Cheers, D
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't recall a Group Build based on the pilot rather than the aircraft, but I like the idea a lot.

Fortunately most aircraft require a pilot so you get a lot of aircraft firsts along with a pilot doing a historical achievement at the same time (example, Chuck Yeager's X-1 but you could also do his P-%1 Mustang from WWII). The pilot focus allows for a specific aircraft associated with a pilot, such as a Grumman Wildcat done up as the Martlet that Brown flew during WWII.
 _GOTOTOP