_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Masking open doors on Helicopters
kiwisoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Plymouth, New Zealand
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 - 07:53 AM UTC
I'm wanting to know how to protect the inside of my build as I am showing the model with the doors open. My build is 1/48 Seasprite 2H-F. I have seen this in photos of the masking but have not found how they do it without attaching it to the outside.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 - 01:37 PM UTC
A good question as I will need to do this myself in the near future.
I've seen it done with a cut up piece of sponge, which is probably the easier way but does risk damaging the inside. I would love to know how some modelers mange to get tape neatly inside the door and then remove it.
I have a 1/32 Puma and Lynx in the planning stages that I want to show off with doors open.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 - 03:24 PM UTC
I have masked openings by running a thin line of masking tape around the door "jamb" (for want of a better term) perpendicular to the body of the model, and using a toothpick to get it right into the corners. Then I roll up a post-it note into a tube and push it into the opening to prevent any overspray from getting in.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, D
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 - 03:45 PM UTC
A technique I found that was really good came from a video by a guy who builds commissions that i stumbled over in facebook

Basically soaking wet paper towels. Cheap and efficient
fox three custom models
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 - 04:44 PM UTC
Used that method of masking myself in the past but had completely forgotten about it, thanks for the reminder.
One thing I do remember about it, is that any weathering pigments /powders you use will have to be sealed. Or the wet tissue will wash them off!
 _GOTOTOP