_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1/72 Fokker D.VII
TheSSTriangle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi, I just joined up and figured I'd post the progress on a kit I'd started a number of years back and stashed in the box and forgot about. It's a 1/72 Roden Fokker D.VII.
Here are some of the initial pictures with the old date stamp on them of when I first started it and some of the recent progress I've made on it.

Here I've done the undercarriage in Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black and XF-1 mixed with a little Testors RLM80 Olivegrun for the underside.
The rubber is a shade lighter and is just XF-1 with a drop of XF-2 mixed in.
The engine was done in a grey that I can't remember, it was in the box, painted when I re-opened it. I gave it some washes of XF-1 and Testors 4675 Rust Oxide, mixed together.

The prop was done with a coat of Testors 1141 Nat Wood Enamel which was allowed to dry for 2 days, then I mixed some Testors Rust Oxide, Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black and a touch of XF-2 Flat White to get a little darker shade of wood and painted it on. There is a slight showing of the lighter colour in person which looks somewhat like wood grain. My first attempt at this and I'm somewhat happy with the result but it could use some fine tuning.
This is also my first attempt at such a massive decal. It is not fun at all and these decals are very very fragile and I'm pretty sure I've ruined the edges. I'll have to sort out something for that.

Here I'd given the fuselage a few coats of Tamiya XF-2 flat white and sealed it in with a few light coats of X-35 Semi Gloss Clear.
I left it to dry for a few days and then tonight I masked it off with Tamiya masking tape and sprayed a few coats of XF-1 Flat Black. I'll seal with Semi Gloss Clear when it's dry.
All of the masking is done with sticky tack or poster putty depending on where you are from

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hi Colin,
I've yet to do any of those big lozenge decals. Good to see you diving right in.

Gaz
Xirrcom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 01:06 PM UTC
Hi Collin, nice start with the kit.
Big decals are really pain in the neck. Don't know if you are using any of microscale products - Micro Sol is a big help here to decal setting. Sometimes you even could cut a big decal into few smaller parts.
Cheers 🍻
TheSSTriangle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC
Thanks guys
Yeah I put some micro sol and micro set on them but they wouldn't conform to the corners, tips and leading edges.
Looking back I should have cut it up along the ribs and covered up the seam with rib tape. Maybe I can get an aftermarket set and try again.
Xirrcom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:04 PM UTC
on the round edges you can make few little cuts to the decal (~1mm) perpendicular to the wing edge - spacing depends on the curvature (the more curved edge the less spacing) and then using decal setter shape the decal and let it set. Still when it is not dried completely (but already fixed to the surface) use 600-800 grade sanding stick and sand the excess of the decal on the underside of the wing using the edge of the wing as a cutting plane. Don't know if I descibed it clearly
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
Howdy,

Roden decals from that time period are useless as far as I'm concerned. Get yourself some aftermarket lozenge and save yourself from anymore headaches. I want to see this finished!

Brian Riedel
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:14 PM UTC
Looks good so far.
I have a number of Roden's D.VII's in my stash (not this boxing though) so I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Just started reading Von Degelows biography 'Black Fokker Leader' by Peter Kilduff. Interesting reading so far.
TheSSTriangle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 01:38 AM UTC
Well this kit met with a bad end. I was resetting up my model bench and something fell and crushed the gear and struts and tail. Least to say there may have been some profanity streaming from my office

I've put this kit away till the memory of my own stupidity is gone and I can give it another try again.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC
Oh Colin,

My condolences. Been there. Done that.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC
That hurts, Colin. I can seriously empathize with ya.
 _GOTOTOP