Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 09:07 AM UTC
:-) Hi guys, In my new capacity, I'm trying something out, a online build. You can find it in the gallery, in aircraft "On the workbench" click here This Spitfire is almost finished and is the subject of my article on applying decals Decal Dilemas and will be the subject of applying washes, soon. I will be bringing the build up to date pretty quickly. The idea being for me to get the hang of doing it. When I have "sussed" it I will add a few more, I have several on the go. If you take a look can you make sure that you select "title" in the "sort by" catagory, so that the pics are presented in the correct order. I'm trying to get this sorted. Comments and feed back please, mainly on the idea and the method, but comment on the modelling aspect as well, if you like :-)
Mal
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 03:40 PM UTC
Its coming up preety good!!I like your idea of "building online"! What were your impressions about his plane(fit,details,etc)??Thanks for the useful articles!!!
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 04:19 PM UTC
Holdfast,

Great idea. A very good way for those of us who are relatively new to pick up tips and techniques. Your stuff is always very helpful and I look forward to more of it.

P.S. The spitfire was a great choice to do this with! Great plane.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 11:34 PM UTC
Mal that is a good idea, showing step by step pics, especially the building of a "mainstream" kit that most people can afford to buy and get hold of relatively easily.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
:-) Thanks for the feedback guys.
Bus
The fit is good, I'll mention more about this when It comes up in the build, detail is good too.
NTTG
Well of course you do know that, "you just can't have to many Spitfires" :-)
BDUK
:-) Yep, my thoughts axactly, plus the fact that I've already got the pics

I've added some more pics, plus I've started putting stuff into the reference section. The first in there is a drawing of the Sutten Harness, as used in the Spitfire. This is an area I could do with some help in, does anyone have any reference pics that aren't subject to copyright?
More pics on this build Tomorrow :-)
Mal
Zverko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hey Mal, just a question: how many spitfires have you built so far? Its amazing how much you love these AC's!

Zverko
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hi Mal

This is an excellent idea - if you can build up a reference section to accompany the model, it will make a fantstic "one stop shop" for anyone tackling this kit. :-)

I'm not sure what the copyright situation is on official wartime photos. I've heard that they are freely available; hence the number of cheap books published these days. Any lawyers out there who can advise on this?

I've got a number of colour photos iin books (defininitely under copyright, I'm afraid ) and they all show a brass firing-button. Of course, it might have been painted red originally - perhaps the paint wore off through plenty of use...

I really like the lead-foil harness. I know it's fiddly, but doing it this way allows the straps to be posed very realistically - a problem with stiff etched-metal ones. Nice job Mal!

All the best

Rowan
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 01:02 AM UTC
Mal I love Your Spitfire - I saw pics and read article about decals - it's a pitty I didn't have this pics before Campaign BOB - excelent , lovely Job - You airbrushed a Future ?

Take Care / Powodzenia
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Artur

I know I shouldn't speak for Mal, but I think it's a safe bet he hand-brushed the Klear / Future . Check out Mal's great Feature: The Future Is Klear

I'm totally with Mal on this one... hand-brushed Klear works brilliantly - no brushmarks, no fuss and, most importantly, no need to clean the airbrush!

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 11:08 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

Hey Mal, just a question: how many spitfires have you built so far? Its amazing how much you love these AC's! Zverko

Well I haven't actually built that many, so many other models to build, but built I have;
1. Tamiya Mk I
2. Hasagawa Mk V Trop
3. Hobbycraft Mk XIVc
4. Hobbycraft Mk XIVe
5. Airfix Mk 22
In construction:
1. Tamiya Mk I
2. Hasagawa Mk V
3. Tamiya Mk V Trop (Malta)
4. Airfix Seafire Mk 47
So not that many, but I do plan quit a few more :-) Why do I love it so much? I'm British and I love WW II aircraft.

Quoted Text

You airbrushed a Future ? Artur

As merlin says I hand brush Future :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 08:50 AM UTC
:-) More pics added :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC
:-) More pics added, these are the last 3. She's coming on but I've had a bit of a disaster, all will be explaned when I can sort out a fix, for the 2 problems.

There are now 92 pics included in the build :-) which is up to the final weathering stage. Just the final assembly to go, which I had hoped to get done last week end, but that's when disaster struck.

Don't forget, if you take a look at the build set the "sort by" to "Title" although it seems to be there by its self at the moment :-)
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 08:46 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Lovely job on the weathering!

The exhaust and cordite stains look very effective - are they done with an airbrush or pastels?

92 pics!? We'll have to award you the Armorama Photographer of the Year Medal! :-)

All the best

Rowan
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:45 PM UTC
Brilliant Mal,
its like having the build instructions in colour for real.
This will make a superb article for anyone building a plane step by step, no matter what the plane is.
Everything you need to know and how to do it in one place.

A great help for all.
Thanks for your sterling efforts Mal :-)

Cheers
Peter
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hi Holdfast:

Great idea, I love it. Thanks for sharing it with us. Itīs very helpfull and the images helps in resolving a lot of doubts.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 09:44 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

The exhaust and cordite stains look very effective - are they done with an airbrush or pastels? Rocket Rowan

Come on Rocket, you know I don't use pastels, they are for wusses done with my new airbrush, using my cordite staining jig :-) (thinks, Mmmmm, maybe I should market that)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP