_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Sanger 1/48 B-52 Almost Ready......REALLY!
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 06:47 AM UTC
I was checking the Sanger site to see if there were any updates on the long anticipated and much delayed B-52 Stratofortress kit. Well, from what is posted on the site, it's really almost ready. I've been on the waiting list for this kit going on seven years and this is definitely great news! A perfect addition to display with the Sanger 1/48 B-47, Revellogram 1/48 B-58 Hustler and B-1B Lancer. Now, when will a 1/48 B-36 Peacemaker be ready?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:58 AM UTC
1/48 BUFF? Almost a 5 foot wingspan. What's next, a 1/32 B-17...oh, wait!
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:04 AM UTC
I have always avoided vacuforms, and have heard that Sanger kits are difficult. I'd be interested in your comments.
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 12:45 PM UTC
Well, at 125 GBP per kit, I hope that it's everything as advertised. If it ain't, any comments I will have will be unprintable.

Vacuform isn't any more difficult than regular styrene. Just a bit more patience.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
Joseph,
Ever since the 70s when I re-entered the hobby, I attempted just two vac kits, and both ended up in the town landfill, as my skill set wasn't nearly good enough to build one.

But I just had to take a look at their web site, and I was truly impressed. I spent some time looking at the B-47 and the level of detail is amazing. Recessed panel lines, resin detail parts, and white metal landing gear. If the B-52 is designed at this level, they have a winner on their hands. Unfortunately, I have no space large enough to display or even store one of these huge models.

Hopefully, you'll do a comprehensive build blog as I for one would love to follow your build.

Joel

Joel
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:33 PM UTC
Joel, I will definitely do a build blog for this kit. I haven't built anything that warranted one before; but, a 1/48 BUFF is worthy of that. I've been planning what will be done to this kit over the last seven years.

If you are from the city, I understand your space issues. I'm an apartment dweller in Brooklyn. This monster will fit one way or another.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Joseph

That's great news! Realistically, it's too big for me, but that B-47 looks gorgeous!

Although they're beyond the scope of this section, the Waco and Wellesely look seriously tempting.

Many, many, moons ago I wrote an article that may still encourage a few doubters to dip a toe into the wonderful world of vacuforms

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, I will definitely do a build blog for this kit. I haven't built anything that warranted one before; but, a 1/48 BUFF is worthy of that. I've been planning what will be done to this kit over the last seven years.

If you are from the city, I understand your space issues. I'm an apartment dweller in Brooklyn. This monster will fit one way or another.

Joseph,
I live in Selden, what use to be called the sticks of Suffolk county. Now it looks more like western Nassau or even single family dwellings that one finds in Queens.

I have my own Man Cave/Model/Computer room, but its only 10x10. Other then hanging it from the ceiling I have no real options, and I never much cared for looking up at the belly of a aircraft as it's primary view. So I'll just live through your build, pull up a chair, and enjoy the ride.

Joel
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC
Ah, Selden...I used to go to ham radio fests (callsign N2TLI) held at Suffolk Community College.
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, Selden...I used to go to ham radio fests (callsign N2TLI) held at Suffolk Community College.

OT: Youse Guys are reminding me of my childhood stint as an "Air Force Kid" in East Islip, Longa I-land 1955-60, back in the days when Republic was churning out F-105s in Farmingdale and Grumman was building (whatever it was during that period). Doesn't just seem like ancient history now: it is.

I have looked over the vac kits on the Sanger site. There are many tempting choices, especially in the Brit 1/48 range. But I better stick with my current project for the "immediate future."
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 06:03 AM UTC
Got the word today that the B-52 is in production and ready for order. I'm getting the A/. B-52 'A-E' Variant. I'm going to build a plexiglass display case to keep it in. Too big to hang from the ceiling. Super Detail City, here I come!
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:07 PM UTC
This is getting flaky. I re-sent a confirmation email to Gordon last week as he requested on his site. No reply as of today. I've been waiting over seven years for this kit; but, I'm reaching the point where I'll move on to other things. This was to have been a special present for my son who is studying aerospace engineering at Aviation High School in Queens. Seems like tomorrow is always promised but never comes. Oh well......
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Vacuform isn't any more difficult than regular styrene. Just a bit more patience.

You may think again!

Size matters, it may require some serious scratch building to reinforce those enormous wings and fuselage and keep it all straight.

Not to mention fixing those wings and fuselage under the correct angle without fear of everything bending/breaking when lifted up.

I fear that an internal scratch build "wing box" construction will be needed to keep fuselage and wings aligned.

Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 - 06:44 AM UTC
Major bummer...the kits have been produced and already received, according to the site, by numerous buyers. I resent confirmation emails, as instructed on the website; but, I still haven't received an invoice, nor any replies from Gordon Elliot. As I said before, I've been waiting since 2009 for this kit and it seems like I'm going to be on the outside looking in regarding my purchasing one now. I'm really disappointed with the lack of customer service from Sanger. I would expect, at the very least, some kind of response.
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Major bummer...the kits have been produced and already received, according to the site, by numerous buyers. I resent confirmation emails, as instructed on the website; but, I still haven't received an invoice, nor any replies from Gordon Elliot. As I said before, I've been waiting since 2009 for this kit and it seems like I'm going to be on the outside looking in regarding my purchasing one now. I'm really disappointed with the lack of customer service from Sanger. I would expect, at the very least, some kind of response.

I visited the site after reading your post and noted that they have had a number of communications problems due to a failed motherboard on computer hosting the site (or some such). It does look like they're still making the kit and taking orders for individual variants. Have you sent in a PayPal invoice to pay for it and got nothing back?

It does seem strange to me. This is an exotic product, with a limited buying population I think. Customer goodwill for such an offering would seem to me to be essential. Especially after nine years' wait, I would be steaming.

Before Cutting Edge Resins went out of business I had on order with them for the very longest time their PB4Y-2 conversion. I got repeated emails back telling me that I was at the very top of the list once they got production going again. Then I read on the web that they had given one of the new production kits away at a contest of some kind. To say that I was annoyed would be an understatement. However they did ultimately send one.

I look at it now every once in a while and wonder if I can summon the moxie to actually build a damn thing.

Here's hoping you get your B-52, and that you're not in a "Be careful what you wish for or you just might get it" situation.
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 - 06:50 AM UTC
They do seem to have some interesting kits available, but I don't think I have encountered such a badly designed website since the nineties.
Heinkel112fan
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 - 09:44 PM UTC
Just curious, have you have received your confirmation for the Sanger Engineering 1/48 B-52? If not, Gerald J. Elliot emailed a few days ago, saying his long time server had been giving him problems.

Many have not received their Paypal invoices because of this server issue.

Gerald is asking all who have not received their Paypal invoices, to email him at all 3 of his email addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

If you already have received your Paypal invoice, great!

My kit has been shipped, and will be arriving soon in the USA.
 _GOTOTOP