_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
camo pattern for hellcat?
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:32 PM UTC
I am building a Hobbyboss British fleet air arms Hellcat Mk.II. This will be my first attempt at airbrushing a camouflage pattern I am worried I am going to wreck the model after spending a lot of time building it. Been doing research on technique. My question is was there a consistent way the camo was painted on the real plane? I read on another forum that a paint mask was used on all the planes. Really? every single Hellcat had a similar paint job? not according to my Hobbyboss paint guide would painting on an random pattern be wrong? Thanks you.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC
Most british aircraft had an A and a B pattern, which are the same but flipped left to right. Do your instructions not have a paint diagram?
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:16 AM UTC
Best I could do in five minutes - Profile from Aircraft Monogram #20

doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most british aircraft had an A and a B pattern, which are the same but flipped left to right. Do your instructions not have a paint diagram?

I do, the 'marking and painting' guide show two versions, definitely different camo patterns. Is hobby boss wrong?

doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/AOE4/f6f-hellcat-hobbyboss-80361-2_zpshadqf49r.jpg
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 01:15 AM UTC
I would go with the paint scheme they show for your markings. I'm sure they did some research and it wouldn't be uncommon for planes to be repainted in the field.

Looking at the top image of both schemes, it looks like they've been mirrored front to back.

The A scheme and B scheme is RAF practice, but I can't concretely say that the RN did the same with their aircraft.
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC
Very interesting, it does seem to be mirrored.what threw me off is that the pattern looks different due to the location of the camo pattern on the opposite side......if I am making sense you guys are great, thank you.
 _GOTOTOP