_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Any thoughts on this Canopy Survival kit
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 05:38 AM UTC
Salutations,
I was wondering if anyone has used this product. Being a masking challenged person to me this looked promising. I have not found a review (yet) so I thought I would throw this out to all you wonderful Kitmaker fans. This is the link:

http://shop.maketar.com/?product=canopy-survival-kit-ultimate-canopy-masking-set#prettyPhoto

To me this looked really groovie(tm) ok cool. I am really interested in ordering this but just wanted to check if anyone else has used it. Canopy masking has put more of my builds into what I call the procrastination case where they languish then anything else. I posted my progress on my attempt to finish my Frog Avenger II kit over at the Hanger Queen VI (also mistakenly posted it on last years Hanger Queen V Campaign.

Any comments would be appreciated hopefully all positive

Cheers

Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 05:40 AM UTC
Oh great this is going well. I misspelled Canopy in the topic and no way to edit it. Where is a Kitmaker moderator when you need one. 8P
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 06:10 AM UTC
Right here, at your service
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:11 AM UTC
It's a neat idea, but personally - with the abundance of aftermarket canopy masks being available and relatively cheap, I'd much rather purchase a set made specifically for the kit I'm working on. That way there's much less of a chance of having a bleed through.

If I was going to mask using various shapes, as this set does, I would simply cut it from Tamiya masking tape.

I just worry that a lot of these shapes would end up not getting used, but like I said it's an interesting idea.

Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a neat idea, but personally - with the abundance of aftermarket canopy masks being available and relatively cheap, I'd much rather purchase a set made specifically for the kit I'm working on. That way there's much less of a chance of having a bleed through.

If I was going to mask using various shapes, as this set does, I would simply cut it from Tamiya masking tape.

I just worry that a lot of these shapes would end up not getting used, but like I said it's an interesting idea.

I kinda feel the same way but I can see where this might help where you just don't happen to have a AM mask set for the kit you are building. I have always had issues masking and what I could see with this set is it could help mask those not so square areas. The round shapes and better yet little sharp triangle pieces to stick in the corners of the frames got me thinking maybe I will give this a try. But just to be sure I just wondered if anyone else had tried them. If I was any good at masking, I would not even be looking at this. Maybe if I do decide to fork out the coin to get a set I might post an update. Heck could be my first review

Cheers

Thanx Jessie for fixing my title
spiralcity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 11:51 PM UTC
Where can I get a Monogram 1/48 F4F-4 masking set? I looked but nothing so far.
 _GOTOTOP