_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
When the wrong scale is right
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi everyone

As modellers we tend to like our kits in scale - everything reduced exactly. Manufacturers who bring out kits that fail this test get a lot of criticism and we spend a lot of time worrying about scale. But here's the thing, sometimes out of scale is good and works for us.

Now before everyone reaches for their slide rules and scale plans let me explain. A model is an illusion. Its never an exact scale replica - the limitations of producing things in plastic and even photo etch ensure that. Creating a convincing illusion relies on construction and painting techniques that fool the eye and brain into making a link with the real thing - that layer of pigment only becomes dust or mud in the brain. Its really just pigment.

So, here's my thought. Keeping things in exact scale works against us when the object or detail becomes so small that it no longer supports the illusion. Panel lines are a classic example. Mostly their function on a model these days is to hold the wash that creates the illusion of panel joins. When the panel lines get too small the wash won't work and the illusion is broken. They may be in scale but they aren't helping us.

Here's another example - cockpit details. When switches and dials are so tiny that dry brushing, washes or other techniques can't bite then they simply fade into the background. No help.

So, my thought is this; we should encourage manufacturers who get things appropriately out of scale. While the general dimensions and shape of a vehicle should be correct, detail that is enhanced should be praised, even when it is out of scale. The test is does it help to create a convincing illusion? By the way if the detail is too far out of scale it will not support the illusion either, so its a delicate balance.

I was just sitting with a beer and pondering this, so I thought I'd prompt a discussion. All views are welcome!

Happy modelling

Steve

rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 04:42 AM UTC
Steve - I'm glad to find that someone other than me ponders these worldly issues over a pint. You make some very good points. I think you are correct in observing certain details need to be "off scale" to create an illusion. I think that to some degree the sense of proportion is subjective in that it varies from one individual to the next - I believe that most artistic and creative people- model makers are certainly in this group - have a more highly developed sense of proportion than people who are not. When scratchbuilding or adding extra details I often do things by eye if the prototype dimension is not available. Some things need to err on the large side as you mention and sometimes it is better to err on the small side for certain things- to maintain a sense of delicacy particularly as scales get smaller. Even color can influence how we perceive relative size . We are fortunate to have so many wonderful kits to chose from these days compared to when I was a younger man and so I agree with you in that we should not be quick to condemn the manufacturers for trivial things - even most things- as producing these products is extremely expensive and these are not the best of times economically. Mostly we need to keep it fun - it is, after all, a hobby. Thanks for the food for thought.
Cheers. Richard

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hi Steve

There's a nice quote in the Airfix - 50 Years Anniversary book from Peter Allen, kit designer in their heyday:

"... you also knew, and learnt very early, that you could not scale stuff down to the size you were looking at because it would become so thin it looked out of proportion. So, if you took something classic like the Mini, you would have to cheat the door handles at scale to get them to look right and in proportion. If you took them down to their true size they were just a thin whisp and would look wrong. So, your actual "designer's eye" allowed you to strike a balance."

All the best

Rowan
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:42 PM UTC
Hi Guys

Richard, yes, I might just be spending too much time thinking about this, but the beer certainly helps!

Rowan, I guess these scale compromises are inevitable (and the Airfix book sounds interesting). I'm leaning towards thinking they should be deliberate if they help us get a great end result. This should be something manufacturers consider when designing the model.

Now to crack world peace.

Have a great day.

S
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC
Off scale does work or every model would look toy like.
Panel lines for instance on model aircraft help to break up the surface and add interest. If you scaled up any model plane to 1/1 scale you could put your fist in the resulting gap, and does anyone complain about that inaccuracy, not really.
Same for treads on planes, in real life they would be like tractor tyres .
I have always wondered how a real aircraft would look if you shrank it down to a smaller scale, I'm betting you couldn't pick it up without breaking it for starters .
Andy
 _GOTOTOP