Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf 109G-4 - Eduard 1/48 Overtrees Kitbash
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi again. The first primer on my Gnat dries now and the Defiant got some gun barrels so it is time for the next main project.

I have bought two overtree kits of the Bf 109G-4 overtree kits when the Royal Class of eduards wrong scale Bf 109 came out. By accident I had two sets of decals in it so I decided to keep my RC untouched (I got a 2nd one so that is no longer necessary).

Anyway a few weeks ago Eduard offered their new Bf 109G-6 kit as overtrees with an extra discount, so I too the opportunity to buy three of these. Two will be converted using the old Bf 109G-4 and one will be a Bf 109G-6 Nightfighter.

So first I cut out the egine panels along the panel lines with my trusty Hypercut saw. Horizontal from cockpit to rubber seal, vertical down, horizontal 2nd panel line above the exhausts and again vertical at the first panel line behind the spinner .. sounds more complicated that it is and I did not cae for the rest of the old donor kit. Next was the tail that I cut at the last panel line in front of the rudder. Both halfs glued together, not forgetting to add the tail wheel leg.

Same procedure at the new kit with focus on not ruining the kit where I want to keep it.

Worked out well though I was a bit impatient at teh tail and cut slightly into the fuselage. I have not pictures of these steps as I did that at some evenings over the past week while watching TV.

That might all sound pretty difficult but it was not and 15 Euro for a correction set is not that bad. I filled the remaining quarter circles as the tail cutting mistake with Magic Sculp. BTW both tails (old G-4 and new G-6) are equally long so that is no problem scalewise:

I also have the old "overlepty" for the G-4 and while it is a bit difficult to match the parts numbers (which differ from new G-6 kit and also from Royal Class instructions [sic!] ) I basicalle need instrument panel and seat belts.

Moving on to the wing I completed it without control surfaces and grinded out the position lights. These were replaced with Bondic (clear UV curing resin). A bit nerve wrecking as the stuff did not stick not well enough for sanding, so I lost one and hat to glue the others with CA .. it is not polished in the pic, so it looks a bit dull..

BTW one will get Jan Reznak's markings the other Viktor Petermann's .. but I am doing just one now.

all the best

Steffen

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
Steffen,
Glad to see you building a G4. I'll be following along. I use Bondic as well and know your frustration when it detaches from the plastic. I've tried to sand gently, and sometimes that helps.

Gaz
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 02:05 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Very neat project!

All the best

Rowan
kahunaminor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 151 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 03:57 AM UTC
Steffen,

You are a man of many builds! I wish I could juggle as you do. This looks a great start.

Regards,
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hi Kent,

yes it is a disease, but I am fine with it. You will notice I have several builds here that are not finished yet. Many of them will be - even that old Aviatic Berg D.I recovery project (or the Ki 100 or the Bf 110D Dackelbauch Nightfighter .. just to name a few) ... I expect to finish this one in a few weeks but there is still the 2nd (I am not a big fan of parallel builds of the same kit .. it just gets boring )

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:25 PM UTC
Well, I had some very busy weeks with almost no working bench time. AND cockpits are not my favorite so this project was a bit procrastinated .. but bit for bit I got things done and I am now progressing.

so now it is time to close the fuselage.

all the best

Steffen
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 02:28 AM UTC
Steffen,
Your conversion is certainly an interesting project even though I know next to nothing about Axis aircraft. For someone how really doesn't like doing cockpits, as usual, this one really looks quite nicely detailed.
Joel

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:00 PM UTC
Cheers joel,

well, the main problem with cockpits is the loss of time and motivation. Still sometimes there are other hurdles thet keep me from finishing things.

This is what I did yesterday evening:

not bad for a few hours.

all the best

Steffen
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 01:28 PM UTC
Looking good, Steffen!

Remember all of us 109 lovers that want to see you complete it.

Gaz
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC
Cheers Gary,

well, I wish I could just constantly build, but it is rather on and off .. soo everything takes a little longer.

Today I had to work again so it was no full modelling day, but I am satisfied with what I did.

maybe I can get it ready for primer tomorrow, MAYBE.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:00 PM UTC
Looking o.k. but a bit of work still to be done

all the best

Steffen
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,
You've done well to hide the holes for the MG 131 beulen. She looks good!

Gaz
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:35 AM UTC
Steffen,
With a coat of primer, your conversion looks perfect.

For someone who hasn't had a lot of modeling time this week, you sure got a lot done, especially compared to what I would have gotten done in that time frame.

Joel
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 02:43 AM UTC
Thanks Gary and Joel!

Joel: it is all a matter of perspective. I am more theglasishalfempty guy...

After some filling and sanding I removed the DF loop bump and gave the fuselage and underside a good layer of RLM 76 .. looks quite good so far and I happy with it (the upcoming Eduard Bf 109G-4 (new tool) will be better though).

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:33 PM UTC
Well,

yesterday I sprayed the yellow fuselage band and the wing tips. Then after dry I masked these off, repaired the RLM 76 and started with the RLM 75. I am very happy with what I managed to do in just a few hours.

Sadly I have two looong working days now and on saturday I will go to Modellbau König's open house ... so slim chance for any progress.

all the best

Steffen
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
Steffen,
Progress is still progress no matter what pace it's at.
Joel
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 01:20 AM UTC
Hello Joel,

true and as I wrote I was very happy with wednesdays result and was just explaining the lack of updates over the coming day .. well it turned out I had some motivation left today and I proceded a bit.

As per HT Model Special "Messerschmitt Bf 109F, G-2 a G-4 - slovenskych pilotov 1942-43" all Bf 109G for slovak pilots were from WNF so the new Eduard camo masks came in handy...

Having worked with Mals great Miracle Masks these are not as good because they are a bit short in ṕlaces but it is workable and time saving plus I prefer kabuki tape material over vinyl:

paint is on, maybe I can take another pic tomorrow morning...

all the best

Steffen
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 04:52 PM UTC
Looking really tidy Steffen! Looking forward to the completed product !
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
Thank you James!

here are two pix I took this morning

BTW I bought myself the new Bf 109G-5 today ... one can never have enough Messerschmitts (to misquote Mal)

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 02:01 AM UTC
Nice one Steffen

It's looking really neat. Nobody would know the fuselage surgery was there if you hadn't highlighted it. Superb job!

All the best

Rowan
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 03:11 AM UTC
Steffen,
Just beautiful! I agree with you, you can never have too many 109's. I just wish I was better at determining which paint scheme traits would most likely come from which factory.

Cheers,

Gaz
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 12:52 PM UTC
Thank you Rowan and Gary!

Rowan: there are a few rivets missing and also a few spots where you can see the surgery on close examination BUT I am really happy with the result and also that I did the kitbash instead of just building the old/wrong G-4s ( ...G-Force)

Gary: if you have a WNr. you can check one or another book to get the factory / manufacturer .. if not you just have to work from pictures. That is what I do preferably.

Here is the twist why I chose this camo scheme first:

The hood still needs some brush strokes in RLM02 .. no good idea yet how to imitate that. Probably I'll put on a enamel clear coat and brush paint acrylics to have a chance to repair faults by wiping it away.

all the best

Steffen
P.S. G-5 is started .. I am getting used to this kit
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 02:40 PM UTC
Steffen,
Is this a JG 52 aircraft?

I wrote down some of the hallmark painting differences between Weiner Neustadt, Regensburg, and Erla, but forgot where I put it.

Gaz
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 06:01 PM UTC
Yes, 13.(slovak.)/JG 52

Nose is glossy and I had to respray the yellow .. either a reaction of the tape and the extremely warm temperatures or some paint thinner crawling under the tape. (wingtips are o.k. but also have some marks)

all the best

Steffen
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:43 AM UTC
Looking great, Steffen! My 109 Stable will have to have a JG 52 machine. I imagine that doing the disruptive cowling pattern will prove difficult. I have a Hobbycraft G1/G2 that I bought secondhand that I may use for that.

Gaz
 _GOTOTOP