_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
DH-88 COMET [AIRFIX-1/72]
nico37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
AeroScale: 181 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:21 PM UTC
Hi all,

i finally finished this kit with which i enlisted in the" very civil" campaign but which was not done before the dead line.

So, it was not what we can call an easy one, many lacks and imperfections had to be improved ..... i firstable planed to do the "black" and "green" ones (there were 3 DH-88 in the 1934 Mc Robertson Air Race, the red one won)but, finally .... i will not !

Here are the pics(from the start):

Ugly cockpit/heads block to remove !

Wings did not fit very well...

So let's go for the work...

That's all

Cheers
nico
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 04:18 AM UTC
Amazing work Nico! I would not think it was the old Airfix looking at your finished result.
I really do wish that Airfix would do a new tooling of the Comet racer.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:02 AM UTC
You are not the only one to slog through this kit.
Funny, your prop hubs and radiators look identical to mine before work on them.

you went farther down the rabbit hole for the cockpit detail though. Mine hangs 7 ft in the air in my classroom ceiling Timeline of Powered flight.

I cheaped out and made the canopy framed from the black decal edge of the sheet as well.

It is such a great looking plane, somebody should do a modern tooling of the kit.

I've got two more in the stash to do Black Magic and the green version, but have not gotten very far w them
nico37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indre-et-Loire, France
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Amazing work Nico! I would not think it was the old Airfix looking at your finished result.
I really do wish that Airfix would do a new tooling of the Comet racer.

Thnaks a lot , not sure that Airfix planes a new one ... warbirds take all the place....for a very good 1/72 Comet kit you can look at the SBS but it is far more expensive...:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/sbscometreviewlp_1.htm

cheers
nico

nico37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indre-et-Loire, France
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You are not the only one to slog through this kit.
Funny, your prop hubs and radiators look identical to mine before work on them.

you went farther down the rabbit hole for the cockpit detail though. Mine hangs 7 ft in the air in my classroom ceiling Timeline of Powered flight.

I cheaped out and made the canopy framed from the black decal edge of the sheet as well.

It is such a great looking plane, somebody should do a modern tooling of the kit.

I've got two more in the stash to do Black Magic and the green version, but have not gotten very far w them

Good work on it Mike ! I obviously guess their molds for the engines get some failings .... And how i understand that the 2 others get slowly, they surely need a lot of work also !

cheers
nico
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good work on it Mike ! I obviously guess their molds for the engines get some failings .... And how i understand that the 2 others get slowly, they surely need a lot of work also !

Nico, the resin kit looks lovely, but you are right, the price is steep. If I wanted one for my home display case or a serious model show, that would be the way to go.

That said the Airfix kit captures the lines of this beautiful aircraft well and looks good from the floor.

I will eventually finish the other two and hang them from the classroom ceiling together.

Only folks like us will know the work it took to even get them to look good from 8ft away!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:53 AM UTC
knew this was a pretty old kit, did a bit of googling and unbelievably, it celebrates its 60th birthday next year!

despite its age, you can get a nice model from this kit as Nicolas and Mikes builds on this thread have shown.

heres a couple of my efforts, the red grosvenor house version built sometime in the late 90's -

this is the same kit released by whirlybird models, with the base kit, resin interior and new decals, all in one box to show grosvenor house during a brief time in RAF service.

_GOTOTOP