Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Camouflage pattern
uilebheist
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 10:40 AM UTC
I'm not very experienced with an airbrush, how would one paint this camo pattern?

Thanks
#:-)
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:17 PM UTC
Notice: there's a repetition of small "arcs" in the pattern. Personally, I would experiment with spraying through "masks" ( freehand holes) cut from a 3x5 index card. It's gonna be a bit tedious, no matter how you slice it.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:21 PM UTC
What scale is this? I'm doing my 1/72 BF-109E-4 with the same cloud pattern. My solution, get a cartolina paper (any hard paper would do) and form an arc over the model. Then like ZoomieE7 has said, try making strikes on the paper such as irregular holes. Try to make it small. Then spray it all out. Sorry, I haven't tried it but that's what I'll do on my kit.
uilebheist
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
I'm doing a 1/144 scale right now, I plan on getting a 1/48 me 110 soon to try it on also.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 04:34 PM UTC
One thing I would suggest is to practice as much as you can on this technique before you do it for real. If you have an old kit lying around that is spare you could use that, then if you make a mistake at first you simply let it dry and try again.
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi uilebhest,
there is a range of camo masks by Airwaves:
AEMM501 - 1/72ND FIGHTER CAMO MASK
AEMM102 - 1/48TH CAMO MASK
AEMM103 - 1/32ND CAMO MASK
AEMM503 - 1/32ND CAMO MASK
They are flexible metal so they conform to the shape of the area to be airbrushed.
They are available from Hannants and probably Squadron.
The different scales can be used on any...different scales mean different size of mottle patches.
Alternatively you could hand paint the mottling, then when just dry soften the edges with a little thinners.
Hope it helps
Cheers
Peter
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
This really is a scheme for free hand airbrush work and therfore depends if your airbrush is capable of the task. Assuming it is, then you will need to have the paint very thin, so that it will flow easily, have the air pressure very low, so that the thin paint isn't spattered everywhere, you will need to get in close and you need a steady hand. What I do is try and imagine that I am trying to spray to scale, but without a good airbrush you wont be able to get fine enough. This scheme would be posible with a single action syphon fed brush such as a Badger 200, but it will be a doddle with a gravity fed double action brush, such as a Simair Evolutin. (I have them both :-) ) I'm thinking 1/48 here, I't would be possible in 1/144 with the Evolution. It might just be possible with an Aztek, in 1/48.
Camo masks are great but there are none, that I know of that will give you this particular mottle. As almost if not all Luftwaffe aircraft, that had mottle, had different mottle, then the only "real" solution is freehand. I believe it's worth acheiving this skill anyway, so my advice,as Martin says is to practice. If you really want to do this scheme spend some quality time with your airbrush, get used to how the paint works with different amounts of thinner and air pressure. Practice this scheme, it's little arcs and flicks, until you are happy then go for it. If you put down a coat of Klear(Future), after the main part of the scheme is on, you'll be able to wipe it off if all goes wrong. You could if you wanted to draw the mottle on, that's what I did with my Tropical Stuka, you then don't have to think about it, or keep refering to the picture. It will take time, the green camo on my stuka took me a couple of hours or more over several sittings.
As a novice with an airbrush you may want to try masks though, but ther can be nothing more satisfying than achieving a difficult scheme, like this, freehand. It will always look better. Best of luck :-)
Mal
Yellow013
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
turn your air compressor down to the lowest setting, that your airbrush will work on. use the finest needle you can. experiment until you get it right on a piece of caed boaed oe something like that
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This really is a scheme for free hand airbrush work and therfore depends if your airbrush is capable of the task. Assuming it is, then you will need to have the paint very thin, so that it will flow easily, have the air pressure very low, so that the thin paint isn't spattered everywhere, you will need to get in close and you need a steady hand. What I do is try and imagine that I am trying to spray to scale, but without a good airbrush you wont be able to get fine enough. This scheme would be posible with a single action syphon fed brush such as a Badger 200, but it will be a doddle with a gravity fed double action brush, such as a Simair Evolutin. (I have them both :-) ) I'm thinking 1/48 here, I't would be possible in 1/144 with the Evolution. It might just be possible with an Aztek, in 1/48.
Camo masks are great but there are none, that I know of that will give you this particular mottle. As almost if not all Luftwaffe aircraft, that had mottle, had different mottle, then the only "real" solution is freehand. I believe it's worth acheiving this skill anyway, so my advice,as Martin says is to practice. If you really want to do this scheme spend some quality time with your airbrush, get used to how the paint works with different amounts of thinner and air pressure. Practice this scheme, it's little arcs and flicks, until you are happy then go for it. If you put down a coat of Klear(Future), after the main part of the scheme is on, you'll be able to wipe it off if all goes wrong. You could if you wanted to draw the mottle on, that's what I did with my Tropical Stuka, you then don't have to think about it, or keep refering to the picture. It will take time, the green camo on my stuka took me a couple of hours or more over several sittings.
As a novice with an airbrush you may want to try masks though, but ther can be nothing more satisfying than achieving a difficult scheme, like this, freehand. It will always look better. Best of luck :-)
Mal

Totally agree, I suggest all you plane junkies do a King tiger with its ambush pattern, once you are very comfortable with making small dots with your airbrush, then them mottled patterns on a Luftwaffe plane is a breeze.... #:-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 08:01 AM UTC
Dave, How dare you bring WW II German armour into a thread on the aircraft board
or are you just trying to get back at me for posting aircraft on the DSB forum?
Mal
uilebheist
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2004 - 02:33 AM UTC
Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll try it with masks first.
 _GOTOTOP