_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
HU-5 Wessex/H-34 Cockpit
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hello all:
Well this is a departure post from my usual figure/armor forums however I've decided to try to give the Death from Above campaign an 11th hour shot. My subject....... a HU-5 Wessex in 1/72 from Italeri. All in all not a bad looking kit, much better than expected.

In any case I'm looking for a few interior shots of the cockpit/troop compartment as well as color photos of RN versions (1980s) of this chopper. Or if photos aren't available, is the basic color of brit chopper interiors a dark grey/black or some ohter color?

Thanks in advance
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 08:03 AM UTC
:-) Hi Nate,
I have "played" with these choppers while serving and I do have a couple of pics, from Northern Island, that you might find interesting. I'll see if I can dig em out and post em. I was going to start a section on choppers anyway and the wessex is a good a place to start as any. If my memory serves my right, Army Wessex, had a medium grey troop compartment, thefuselage had a quilted liner. I think the pilot/co-pilot area was black.
:-) I had my first chopper ride in one of these, the pilots tried to scare us **itless, but I loved every minute of it. Thanks for the memory :-)
I'll dig out the pics as soon as I can.
Mal
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hold:
Sweet, I'll be interested to see how good your memory on the colors are..... I've sort pushed on with the cockpit in a neutral grey overall color as this seems to show up on a few photos I found on-line and is also the color called for in the painting instructions (though I never trust them).
I've done justa little work but this really seems to be a neat little kit of a helicopter I never paid any attention to. I picked it up only bacuse I couldn't find an HH-60H. We'll see if I finish it, but it's fun right now!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
:-) Nate you must PM me if I don't get the pics, I've got alot on and had already forgotten that I posted here, Doh. It will take me a little time to find the pics and I won't really be able to start looking until the weekend, so if you PM me Friday that will remind me
Mal
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hold:
Sweet, I'll be interested to see how good your memory on the colors are..... I've sort pushed on with the cockpit in a neutral grey overall color as this seems to show up on a few photos I found on-line and is also the color called for in the painting instructions (though I never trust them).
I've done justa little work but this really seems to be a neat little kit of a helicopter I never paid any attention to. I picked it up only bacuse I couldn't find an HH-60H. We'll see if I finish it, but it's fun right now!

PORKCHOP.
The Wessex you seek is covered in the Schiffer Book on the UH-34. Has all types
produced, with a concise color section.
AS for painting colors.
Interior: is nuetral or light ghost gray, with quilted sound proofing
Exterior: can be signal orange, SAR yellow, or camo of dark sea gray and medium green. These colors are very similar to WW2 day fighter colors.
Hope this helps, if you need more help give me a shout. Todd
 _GOTOTOP