Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Monogram B-17G
dcook11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:10 PM UTC
I posted this a few days ago, but can't find it anywhere. So, I will try again. Just about to start my "Visible" B-17G. Two questions...
1. I want to dip the left fuselage in future. The wing roots and vertical stabilizer will be painted. Can I paint over the future?
2. At what stage do I paint the right fuselage outside?
CReading
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:50 PM UTC
You can overcoat 'Future' with acrylic paints. Future is a clear acrylic finish which would probably not be compatible with any kind of solvent based paints such as enamels or lacquers. Putting enamel/lacquer on an acrylic base would probably craze or otherwise lift the base.

I'm not quite sure I understand the second question but if you are asking at what stage you would paint the solid colored side I think I would probably build the model as normally as possible and tape & mask the clear side and then paint.

Cheers,
C.
dcook11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 08:34 PM UTC
Thanks. That answered my questions!
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:49 PM UTC
In looking at this kit I have always felt that the best approach would be to create large, irregular patches on the clear side that could be lifted off to reveal sections of the interior after painting. If you open the whole left fuselage you're going to get many sections that lack sufficient detail, and are better left "invisible." If you concentrate on a few areas that you can show off to good effect, it should be much better.

Just my opinion FWIW.
krow113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:38 AM UTC
Good answer.
Thinking about my VisB in this respect I came up with a few ways to doit.These are all traditional methods so no claim of originality on my part.
1. The "Amoeba" large circular curved blob masks in areas of detail.
2. The 'Squiggle" Instead of a straight line between fuse halves mask off a squiggly line,
3. The 'Fade" No masking of a line ,airbrush the line.Pros only.
4.The 'Panelist' using the kit panel lines as guides , create masks to allow clear areas delineated by actual panel shapes.
Number 4 is how I will do mine.
Also I will be sanding off the panel details where the clear parts will be, polishing out the plastic for a better view. This has all been done before , very little that is new in modelling.
 _GOTOTOP