_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Monogram's Classic Fw-190
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 04:28 AM UTC
Nice work Gaz! I'm loving the paint job, a wash will dull it down and blend it beautifully, but the base scheme looks great.

Cheers, D
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 05:08 AM UTC
Gary,

You are making superb work of that old gem! Man, I've probably built close to a dozen of Monogram's FWs over the decades. The last one I started about 15 years ago, painting it for the Sicily G-8, overall tan w/ green splotches, some of which obscure the swastika, as I saw in some photos.

I remember one I built - put every Rüstsätze in the kit! All painted authentic silvers, reds, and yellows! What fun.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Frederick,
Thanks. A friend and I bought them at the same time. We built them together in my bedroom. I painted mine in Testors Neutral Grey, and some dark green I dont remember the name of. But I stuck to the one ETC rack on the belly.
My friend did like you: by the time his was done it had two MG 17's, eight MG 151's, two MK 103's, two wing fuel tanks, and a bomb under it's belly.

He had a thing where his favorite camo pattern was silver dots over black blobs...usually over a red base. But I'm not sure if he used it on this occasion.

I was never that bold with paint. Lol

Gaz
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hi everyone!

Spent some serious time putting on the decals this morning. I used some of the kit originals, some Cartograf, and mostly Print scale to complete the markings. Because this has field applied camo, I'm not gonna worry about all of the stencils.

It took an ocean of Mr. Mark Softer to get all of the decals to lay down over all of that surface detail. I can't remember how bad they must have looked when I built it way back when. Once I stuck on the kit decals, I blotted them with a damp towel, and that was it.

Gaz
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:10 PM UTC
Wow Gaz! I blinked and nearly missed this build!

Very nice work!
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 01:34 AM UTC
Thanks Russell! it's a trip down memory lane, and a little fun.

Gaz
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC
Looks great!

That picture taken outdoors really helps show off the colors quite well.

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hi Everyone,
A gloomy, gray day with intermittent rain and intermittent obligations kept me working on this 190 today.

Consequently, it's finished! I wish I had natural light for pictures, but settled for the best that Thomas Edison could ever have imagined.

This is my dirtiest plane, yet. Perhaps as dirty as those who flew from muddy fields on the steppe.

The exhaust streaking done on both sides and on the underside was done with a new product I bought on a lark called Alclad Exhaust Manifold.

It's meant to be painted over parts painted with Alclad metal finishes. But I reckon it makes great exhaust smudge for those less inclined to mix their own.

I recently learned about the dot filter technique from the experts over at Armorama.

I used it to add streaks to the wings and fuselage, top and bottom. It also blends camouflage.

I still don't have it nailed, yet.

More practice required. I blended too much on the fuselage, and not enough on the wings.

The aerial was made of white EZ Line.

The EZ Line was painted with Tamiya Enamel Silver and I have to admit that the shine to it came as a pleasant surprise.
The brass Pitot Tube was painted in Tamiya Silver and then gone over with Alclad polished aluminum.

I think when I built this as a kid, I clipped off enough of the landing gear leg to make it retractable and therefor useful as a toy. Maybe it was the Monogram 109 that had the retracting gear? Can't be sure. That was a long time ago.

Thank you for looking, and thank you for taking this walk down Memory Lane with me!

Gaz

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:19 PM UTC
Nicely done Gaz, nostalgic and a quick build to provide a satisfying distraction from more complex projects. Very cool.

Cheers, D
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 05:31 PM UTC
Damian,
Thanks! You're right, it was good on so many levels.

Gaz
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hi Gary,

She's a beauty! When I get home, I'm going to dig mine out of some packing box and complete her!

I love this kit. I think that it and the P-40, Hurricane and the Mosquito had they best decal sheets of the era. I can still recall being amazed at all the stenciling on it. I know I have parts of the sheets in my spare decal box.

JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe it was the Monogram 109 that had the retracting gear?

Gaz,

Here are the 1/48 Monograms with retractable gear:

ME 109
Hurricane
Spitfire
Corsair
Hellcat
Helldiver
Avenger
T-28
Zero
Dauntless
Stuka (just kidding)

I think that their "second- and third-generation kits (P-39, P-51, etc.) dispensed with moveable parts and went for more detail. I surmise that the FW, P-38, and other 1st-gen types had fixed gear because it would have been difficult even for 'toys' to make them work/survive.

Just off the top o' my head, the only 1/72 kit with r/g was the Albatross.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi Fred,
....lol...Stuka! Thank you very much for your replies! I remember the old P-40 kit. I think it had the flying Tigers decals set? I remember being a bit confused by the landing gear so mine ended up being fixed.

Man, now I find myself wanting to do a AVG P-40! I never got to the USN kits. The Helldiver was one you always saw advertised on the direction sheet, but never on store shelves. I think I remember the Zero being a very nice kit. And the P-38 being a bit beyond my skills at the time because I couldn't get the the parts to line up right. Bit by bit, the memories come back....lol

The decals on my 190 only had one letdown: The tail swastikas had huge white boundaries....like they'd forgotten to put the final thin black edging around it. But I'm definitely keeping the rest of them for use later.

Best Wishes,

Gaz
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
Gaz I really like this, the weathering is great and the masking turned out really well. Hear hear for old kits and rainy days !
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC
Thanks James!
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:11 PM UTC
Fine work all around on your 190!

I think its great to see these old Monogram kits being built.

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 04:30 AM UTC
Thanks, Les.
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi Gary,

nice result, it gives me hope for my 1/32 ROG FW 190 kit from the eighties... Bought it too is a streak of nostalgia lol.

Nice to see you used the fading technique and I think on the fuselage it really comes out nice

gr TC
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 01:48 AM UTC
Thank you, Lars! I think quite a few of us have been glad to think of models of the past.

Gaz
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 03:37 AM UTC
Gary,
Can't believe I missed your stroll down memory lane. Sure does bring back some great old memories of buying one of these kits in the morning, and finishing it before dinner time if I decided not to paint it.

Your build really turned out quite well, with an absolutely great camo paint scheme.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hey Joel,
Thank you! You were relatively scarce while I was enjoying the build. I'm glad you liked the result. I'm thinking that if my LHS comes up with any more of these classics, I might scarf some up for 'no-sanding' fun.

Gaz
 _GOTOTOP