_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/32 Corsairs: Trumpeter or Revell?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:25 PM UTC
I just came up with these two manufacturers of Corsairs. The Trumpy one is a wee bit pricy than it's Revell counterpart. Which is better in terms of fit, detail and which one has an included pilot?
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:34 PM UTC
I haven't built the Trump one but I had the Revell one a long time ago. In general the Revell kit is veryoutdated and I suspect you'd spend as much -- if not more -- in AM stuff to get it up to Trump standards. that said, the Trump has also taken a few knocks in FSM this month as they did a feature review on it, I think the underlaying message is it looks good but needs a little work.
I would suspect after about 30 years on the market the Revell kit comes up second in this contest.

I'm not sure of the FSM review is on-line or not, but you can check (you might have to register for the site to see it)

www.finescale.com
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:21 AM UTC
I have built neither of these two kits. I have seen reviews of both and up until a month ago the Revell kit was the only game in town. Trumpeter just released their's and the latest issue of Fine Scale Modeler has a full-build review in it and it received good marks. If I we're going to build one, it would probably be the Trumpeter. If money is an issue (which it sometimes is), you might consider picking up the Revell kit and a resin cockpit set from one of the aftermarket manufacturers.
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC
if going for the trumpeter one have a look for the new one my local model shop owner told me he got sent a load of bits to put in the boxes to correct the faulty parts the faulty parts were just left in the box they dont want them back so you might find you get two fusleages
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 07:59 AM UTC
I have built the revell one not to long ago. Nate is right about it being an outdated kit. The one I got the fit wasn't too bad detail was a little on the spare side, but the flash on the sprues was and issue all on its own.
I don't know if it was just the one i got or what, but I have to literally cut the shape of the wings and fuselage out of the flash left over on the sprues. The plane proudly hangs in my neighbors son's room. It was a fun build. Due to the fact that it was free( my neighbor bought it for his son and asked me to build it) and gave me a chance to practice my sanding, cutting and putty skills.
Like I said I don't know if the flash issue was just my kit. Being an older kit you may have to expect that since the age of the kit.
HTH
Paul
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:15 AM UTC
Looks like I'm going to save up some cash for the Trumpeter one. Thanks!
Yellow013
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 04:14 AM UTC
The Trump kit has some dimension problems, the most noticable being the huge gape between the open cowl flaps. The Trump kit, doesn't have a pilot. I'm not sure about the revell kit though
 _GOTOTOP