_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Might 've been... Roland H IIa
Birch_Albatross
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hello Forumianers!

Sometimes I think my brain is a playground... I read yesterday "The Roland Aircraft of WWI" by Jack Herris; on the one hand I found the early D. Shark-types and the hullbuildig of the VIa & b very interesting and attractive in design but suddenly war was over; and on the other hand I like the Handley Page Hampden, the Me 110 and the AEG G series so much - by this I thought:

"And why the h*ll has no Air-Destroyer been planed!?"

There were trial with these Becker M2 20mm gun was used in the G IVk - quintett. But it still was a bomber in the role of a ground attacking fighter - so I think about a might have been project of a "Luftzerstörer"/"Airdestroyer" to attack tanks, pillboxes, bunkers and other armoured facilities not easily to be bombed. The hullfront will be a kind of early "shark"types of Rolland with their good lookout - this makes sence to use the LFG - Roland as a name.

The G-types are Bombers, D, and B are single seatet fighters, C's are Recon, so the H seems tho be completly free

Bu the disadvantages are a lot:

Kill a kit and use what you need, plan, draw and build everything on your own responcibility.

But there are some advantages:

a)
The engines could be scratch and EMB ones - a factory for cars bought by BMW in the 20th - so the design of the engines will be completly free.

b)
The camouflage can be beveloped further on - so I again mixed up 2nd and 1st WW and mixed the Lozenge pattern and the Ambush camoflage into each other: So I designed a Lozenge with a penta and octagon inside - as with the ambush-sheme it is contercoloured, so for the winter 1918/19
ther will be a white and six other colour sheme.

c)
Some details can be made in polysterene or in light cardboard or paper at all. So it is a relativly cheap project - only the propellers I'll be forced to buy.

I promise I'll bring in a couple of drawings later this evening.

I found a plenty of information about Luftwaffe 1946/47 so it might be of intrest "Luftkrieg 1919" So I'll plan a bit about this fancy project... are others intersted, too?

:H Christian
Birch_Albatross
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 04:33 PM UTC
Okay I'll try to do it right at all - no simple scetches on paper - let's do it the right way!

I'll paint the "Winter Ring Lozenge" on a white and very light grey striped underground

and a "Nightfighter Ring Lozenge" on a grey and black can-sprayed underground.

So we'll get a relistic impression of the effect I thought to get by this komplex camouflage scheme of a Lozenge pattern with a unsteady Lozenge in conter colours.

:-H Christian
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:53 PM UTC
Luft19 is a fascination with me. An extension of Steampunk engineering. Dornier and Junkers were/are building metal planes. (Junkers has designed a "G" type monoplane bomber. Hindenburg and Ludendorff are dead (killed in a visit to the front (not so Quiet sector) etc. , etc.

I could go on for about an hour+ on this... I see a contest in this... It may fall into "not so early aviation"

I will think about some rules, a back story, and broche the subject again.

Captn Tommy
Birch_Albatross
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hello Captn!

Yes it is really a kind of "gasoline-punk" - and as you told I could also: The breakdown of the russian front and the won XIII. battel of the Isonzo - Italy left the Entente Cordinalke and defected to the Middel Powers and the Treaty of Hamburg guananteered a Italian Kingdom and the price was a second frontline in France - so the Italian went over the Southern Alpes and cought Cannes by surrounding Nizza and empocketing the complete French southern Wing in his very early stage of development. So the hole American troops had to be transported from the north to the south - and the big offensives never came near to being.

Or something like this...

Here the simple pen doodling I made today. I tryed to develope the fuselage and the details.

The upper wing is narrowed to give a bette over all view.

Here the camouflage pattern - first type - Ambush Lozenge.

And the newish developed weapons on the Destroyer-plane.

Christian
 _GOTOTOP