_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What do you cover your Alclad with?
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi everyone,
I'm curious to know if my Testor's glosscoat will sufficiently protect my Alclad painted surfaces through the rigours of the foiling process.

I expect those surfaces to get touched, bumped, and jostled many times.

I don't use Alclad much (because I'd rather skin the plane with alfoil) so I haven't invested heavily in the Alclad line.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Gaz
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 07:34 PM UTC
I've used Testors Glosscoat over Alclad before, and it works, however I prefer to use the Alclad clear gloss as it seems to give a thinner, more even coat, and dries very quickly. I've also noted that on certain Alclad colors, Testors clear Glosscoat might have a tendency to change the underlying color, whereas the Alclad clear gloss doesn't. Alclad and Testors both work fine over foiled surfaces too. In any metallic paint, I'd wear gloves while handling though, as both the underlying paint and clear finish can be susceptible to oils from your skin. They can also be susceptible to decal solutions like Solvaset. I just finished a model of the Gemini-Titan II rocket, and my Solvaset coat had a tendency to soften the Tamiya gloss white and the clear coat (Testors) that I used over Floquil Bright Silver. Didn't wear gloves and left a large fingerprint, initiating a partial re-paint! I too often combine aluminum foil with painted finishes, and handle all my aircraft using gloves, but lapsed -- getting old I gues!
VR Russ
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC
Russ,
Thanks for your reply. I guess all of these finishes aren't up to exposure to skin oils. Makes me wonder if furniture grade lacquer wouldn't be worth trying. Then again, maybe it's a thickness issue.

I'm not very good at the discipline of wearing gloves while modelling. Right now, I'm trying to imagine covering my 1/48 B-29 in foil while wearing gloves. I've built a stand to hold the beast so I don't have to manipulate it as much.

Thanks again,

Gaz

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hi Gary

I've traditionally used Future/Klear, but I'll try Alclad's own varnishes on my T-33 as part of the review.

I gave their matt coat a shot on the interior and was very impressed - it's extremely thin and dries quickly. It certainly scores well against my usual Winsor & Newton Galeria acrylic, so I have high hopes for the gloss finishes.

All the best

Rowan
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:42 AM UTC
Gary, Rowan,
I've used future too for clear coating-- but I don't find it works as well on foil finishes, I think the foil is not porous enough-- or It's just my clumsy application-- it seems to take longer to dry on foil than paint. I think you'll really like Alclad Clear gloss-- it works well on just about everything-- I've even used it on clear canopies-- I don't think it's a lacquer formulation, although I clean out my airbrush with lacquer after using it. I also don't recommend thinning it-- it's thin enough right out of the bottle.
VR, Russ
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 06:08 AM UTC
Russ,
Thank you for the information.

You're right about Future over naked aluminum. It does take longer to dry. I may get some of the alclad clear though it sorta goes against my desire to add yet another bottle of clear stuff to my shelf.

Gaz
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 08:11 AM UTC
Gary,
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I used to use Testors Gloss (Glosscoat in the bottle) thinned about 50% either with Testors airbrush thinner or lacquer thinner, or Future for my gloss coats. Then I tried Aclad Gloss Coat, and it goes on so smoothly I almost think its not there at all-- another caution I should warn you about-- its such a thin coating you almost cant see it going on, but it provides a perfect coating for metallic surfaces. Here in the States its about $8.50 USD for a large bottle, a bit more liquid than you get in one of the Testors large square Glosscoat bottles, and a little goes a long way. I don't use it for model cars though, because it doesn't give that "highly polished glassy look" of those clearcoat finishes-- its strictly for applying protective coats over bare metal or clear plastic (canopies).
VR, Russ
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 09:32 AM UTC
Russ,
I'll give it a try though I have to get it by mail order.

Gaz
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:08 AM UTC
Gary,
To clear coat Alcad NMF's I use either one of their clear coats which is mineral spirit based, not lacquer based, or Testors Model Master Metalizer clear, which is my preferred sealer as it neither adds a shine nor dulls it.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 04:36 AM UTC
Joel,
I just received delivery of the Alclad clears yesterday. I got both gloss and matte. I'll be trying them in a day or two over the Boeing's control surfaces.

Thanks.

Gaz
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
I just received delivery of the Alclad clears yesterday. I got both gloss and matte. I'll be trying them in a day or two over the Boeing's control surfaces.

Thanks.

Gaz

Don't forget that you do not shake the gloss. I know it's counter-intuitive, but those are the directions.

You'll need to play around with the air pressure you apply it with to get a nice even but thin coat. Once you get it right, it's good stuff.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:05 AM UTC
Thanks Matt. I hadn't even read the directions, yet.

Gaz
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:13 AM UTC

....To clear coat Alcad NMF's I use either one of their clear coats which is mineral spirit based, not lacquer based, or Testors Model Master Metalizer clear, which is my preferred sealer as it neither adds a shine nor dulls it.

Joel[/quote]

Gary,
Joel's suggestion about the Testors Metalizer Sealer is an excellent choice for painted surfaces--- I forgot about that one too, and use it a lot for a slight sheen. However, I've not had good results with it for coating foil surfaces. Applied too heavily and it has a tendency to get into the seams between the foil, and for some reason weakens the adhesive quality of the Micro Adhesive I apply foil with. I don't have that problem with the Alclad, maybe because it dries faster.
VR, Russ

_GOTOTOP