Making a good model
Joey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 90 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi
I bought the Fairchild Republic A-10A Thunderbolt from Tamiya.
I want to try and make this model the proper way :-) ...................... I want to detail it, wash it, drybrush, weather everything so I was hoping somebody could tell me what tools and supplies I need to buy.

Thanks for the Help
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC
Wow! You got there a nice decent aircraft.

Tip #1: Reference
-pictures of the real thing on every angle, inside and out
-the battles it has participated, the markings and common weathering the AC experience

Tip #2: Practice
-practice drybrushing, painting and weathering first on a cheap kit

TIp #3: Patience
-don't think everything will do the way you like it to. Take time to learn from your mistakes and apply new techniques.

Tip #4: Tools
-as for paints - you choose on this one
-decent soft brush
-sprue cutters
-angled tweezers for the decals
-model putty for gaps
- liquid cement or CA glue for bonding
- sandpaper for smoothening (grit 600-1200)

Tip #5: Armorama
- keep on posting on your progress and questions. We're all here for you

Goodluck on your kit
Joey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch Shanen.................
In what order should I make the model? should I first paint or build? first drybrush or wash? and the like.......................

Thanks for all the help.......................... I love this site :-)
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 02:33 AM UTC
Here's what I ussually do with my kits:

1. Work with the cockpit and extra details in the cockpit
2. Glue in the two halves of the kit and sand it to perfection
3. Attach the wings, tails and flaps that will come with the same color as the fuselage
4. Mask the canopy using masking tapes and such materials
5. Paint the fuselage with the base color
6. For camo patterns, this will be discussed in other topics
7. Work with the extra parts such as bombs, gears etc.. and attach them
8. Spray with an overcoat of gloss paint to smoothen up the surface
9. Apply the decals on the proper areas
10. Spray another gloss overcoat to cover the smoothen up the decals (edges won't be seen)
11. Apply wash (to be discussed in other topics)
12. (Optional) Spray another gloss coat
13. Do the weathering on the kit (to be discussed on other topics)
14. After all of that, spray with a flat coat. Be sure that the clear parts are still masked.

If you need some sample pics, do try to visit my site and/or my gallery. Thanks! Some pics on my website are old ones which I keep for my progress such as my 1/72 A-10. I compare my previous skill with my old ones with the new ones I build. That way, I know that I'm improving.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
Joey,
The decision on when to paint is up to you. But here is the way I ususaully do my A/c progress. BTW I do this totaly different for armour. I have a system that works for me.
A/C build order

1. The cockpit.
a. paint the tub
b.paint the panel, apply decals if needed
c. assemble and paint the seat
d.piant the insides of the fuselage.

2. wheel wells and landing gear.
a. paint the wells and landing gear parts (usually the same colour)
b assemble the wells and test fit set aside for now

3. Fuselage and wings
a. assemble the fuselage
b. test fit the half of the wings that fits flush with the fuselage ( top side or bottom). Skip this if the wing root is mid fuselage.
c.tape lower wing to fuselage test fit top (or bottom) half to fuselage.
d. glue everything together
e. fill any visible seems.

4. Painting
a. for closed caonopy I attach it here and mask the "glass" so the framing is exposed.
b. paint the frames; with an airbrush, the interior colour or the appropriate colour for that section of the frame.
c.preshade with a dark colour usually black. for me this eliminates the need for washes.
d.spray the base colour or the only colour depending on the aircraft
e. piant the other colours from lightest darkest

5. Decaling
I'll refer you to Mal Mayfeild's (Holdfast) wonder article Decal Delimas

6. final assembly
a. attach landing gear and pylons and weapons load

7. weathering
a. seal everything with a nice gloss varnish
b. use pastels for gun stains and other stans like exhaust stains form mufflers
c. seal pastel work with clear flat varnish

NOTE: I'm experimenting with using the Airbrush for exhaust stans. I'll post pics if I can work out the technique.

8. Admire your work

This is what works for me. I recommend you come up with your own way of building. This system definately doesn't work for me and armour. I have a totaly different way of building my TANKS. I will say that this is definatley a learning curve that I applied over several years of playing with new techniques. Most of all have fun and check back here for tips and DON"T BE AFFRAID TO ASK A QUESTION!!!!!! Most of us are willing to help and some of us can recommend clubs and other modelers in your region who may be able to assist you futher your enjoyment of the hobby. STUG

PS: DON"T FORGET TO HAVE FUN!!!!!

THAT'S AN ORDER!!!!
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi Joey,
there’s a lot to list.
First of all take your time and practice on scrap bits of card or styrene for your painting, washing and weathering.
Also try the fit of every part without glue.

A list of basic tools:
Scalpel and/or hobby knife such as Xacto. Plus blades.
Styrene cement.
Superglue - for etched parts and resin parts.
Masking tape.
Filler- fine grade.
Wet and dry fine grades of sanding paper.
Sanding sticks - ladies’ disposable nail files are great.
Small needle files.
Good small scissors- nail type.
A good fine saw.
Rubber bands.
Bulldog clips
Cotton buds.
Blu-tac.
Tweezers.
Ellmers glue.
Future liquid floor polish or Kleer.
Liquid mask.
Decal softenerand sealer.
Paints - Enamel or Acrylic and gloss and matt coat varnishes.
Thinners.
Good brushes.
Airbrush and compressor or air cans.
Oil paints and pastels.

Try and build in stages and sub assemblies.
Also use paint all the tiny fiddly bits when on the sprue. You can re-touch later.

And don't panic...you'll always get good advise here...just ask.

Hope it helps.
All the best.
Peter
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
Joey,

There are already awesome tips the replies.
Though I am not experienced myself, maybe a few things that worked for me, even though I so far have mostly built armor, that can also work for you:

PATIENCE!!!!!!! And lot's of it. It does not matter wether the kit is very good as far as fit goes, wether you want to add every nut, bolt, fitting etc to it, or just simply put it together, or the fit of the kit is horrible. Rushing things will only serve to ruin your kit (and ruin your enjoyment).

Planning: Plan with wat you want to do beforehand. Study not only your referencebooks, but also the manual, and if you choose to do so, the instructions that come with the aftermarket-kits.
Now I have started using photo-etch, I have decided to actually write down what I want to / have to do in each step of the instructions. This, for me serves multiple purposes:

• Forgetting to do something that should have been done before glueing parts together, things that can not be corrected, or only be corrected with great difficulty. This goes for painting as well, as some parts can only been painted, or are far easier to paint before assembly.
  • It enables me to work on different parts of the model, or even different models, at the same time without getting lost during my build. This might give you the opportunity to build one part, while another section of the model is hardening it's paint.
  • It forces you to think about what you are actually going to do, before you do it. Which is much like what many athletes do before they run a race. Again, this might help you to see some problems in advance.

Search and ask: One of the most important things to do. People can not only help you with advice on how to do things, but can also warn for pitfalls as well, especially with the kit. I was lucky enough to discover a site just in time, that warned me of several flaws in the building manual for the DML Hornisse. Now I only have one problem to deal with, while a few others have been prevented.

Only work when you are fresh of mind and up to it: For me modelbuilding is relaxing (even in between studying), but when I am tired, or just not feel up to it, I will not build (or have to stop myself building). The worst mistakes I have made, I made when unconcentrated and quite tired. Luckily enough not bad enough to ruin a model completely. The only thing I do in these circumstances is filling ejection-pin marks and the like, so the putty can dry at night.

And now the most important:

ENJOY YOURSELF !!!! Joy in your hobby, and pride in the models you have made is the most important aspect of this hobby, or, IMHO any hobby. If you really like it, and get swept up, then there is another huge pitfall to avoid (and which I have succumbed to): Buying way too many kits, and growing a huge stash of unbuilt kits, while you still have a good number of projects going on.

So Joey,

happy modelling and cheers,

Harm
Joey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 04:14 AM UTC
I really appreciate all the help guys.
I know I'm going to have alot of fun making this model, it's going to be the first time I drybrush, wash or do anything besides building and painting a model.
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 02:31 PM UTC
Dutchbird offers good advice. The essential ingredient , according to "Jack Flash" (aka Stephen Lawson, a real craftsman) is the model you've just gotta see in 3-D. He's only too right. You're obviously enthused about doing your Warthog right, so don't expect it to all "fall together" in a couple of weekends. Don't be afraid to "start and stop", and treat all sub-assemblies as models in themselves. Buy a cheaper (1/72 or 1/48 version) of your "baby" and practice on that. Above all, enjoy the "process" on the way to the "product," and never forget the 5 P's: Prior Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performance."
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 08:19 AM UTC
:-) Hi Joey, You may be setting yourself a tall order, but I like your enthusiasm
If you have never tried these techniques, I would suggest that the first time, and, possibly many more times after that, you will not get the results you are hoping for. I'm not trying to put you off, but I know cos I've been there. You do have an advantage over me, though, Armorama :-)
You need to plan the build, and work in sub assemblies, until you have the main airframe together. This probably means not sticking to the build sequence as outlined in the instructions. Basically I leave off all the "dangly bits" those parts that will get broken off, or get in the way during handling and/or weathering. As far detailing, washing drybrushing etc, check out the articles and features, on this site. If you have any questions PM the auther, I guarantee they will be helpful.
I have started an online build, check out the gallery, under aircraft, workbench models, Spitfire Mk I. Your A-10 will be a little different, but it may give you some ideas. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions. Or ask specific questions on this forum, I'm sure we are all eager to help :-)
If you like it might be an idea to let us talk you through the build, I have the kit and I have Verlindens Lock on monograph, so I can send you pics or possibly post the odd one, like the cockpit, here.
The first thing you need to do is decide what options you want, like open canopy, lowered steps, wheels up or down. do you want to install the pilot, if not are you going to detail the seat, add seat belts to the kit seat or substitute it for an aftermarket seat. Study the instructions, they tell you that you need weight in the nose, but not how much. I would check to see if the wing pylons are a good fit, if yes then I would leave them off and install them as "dangly bits". I would start by assembling the cockpit, then painting it, while waiting for the paint to dry you could be assembling other parts, such as wheel halves, and ordnance parts. The wings and tail halves can be joined but don't attach the tails to the elevator part, until that is attached to the fuselage, to aid alignment. Good luck :-)
Mal
Joey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 10:03 PM UTC
Thanks for all the help and if I have any questions I'll ask....................... my dad is still buying my models so I'm not going to ask for any aftermarket stuff :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
:-) Hi Joey, i wouldn't worry to much about aftermarket stuff. The Tamiya A-10 isn't totally accurate, from what I understand. I think it is based more on the prototype? The model does have a good dose of ordnance though and, with care will build into a fairly good replica. From what you have said you are fairly young, so I guess that implies impatiant
so use the model as a learning ground, show improvement over each one your dad buys you and I'm sure he'll be more enthusiastic about buying you more :-) I know that would work on me I wish I had heeded my own advice, but like I said earlier, with the internet it's easier to learn, because you can ask questions. I could only read books, which leaves you with more questions than answers. Eventually though you find a way that works for you, the trick is not to be put off by "failures" everything you do is bringing the learning curve down. This curve never gets flattened and sometimes it even gets steeper, it is fun, though, if you let it be. Hop we can see some pics :-)
Mal
Joey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hey
I don't really care about the aftermarket stuff and I don't mind that the model isn't totally accurate.
I'm not so young just dependent :-) I'm going to be 18 on Friday (Friday the 13th :-) ) the problem is that I don't have a job and I live in Israel ( I love the country but you can't really find models) so my dad buys me models when he goes to the US on business.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC
:-) Like I said, Young Although I'm only 50 :-)
Mal
Joey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 08:08 AM UTC
LOL..................
 _GOTOTOP