_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Tamiya Spray Cans
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
AeroScale: 165 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hello all

Just wondering f anyone uses Tamiya Spray cans to paint aircraft and what techniques they use to do it.

That's using the cans themselves rather than decanting the paint from the cans.

Can you do the pre-shading and modulation with them ?
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 08:46 PM UTC
Not that I know of.

By their very design they're not meant for any sort of fine work, which makes it difficult to use them for modulation and other such techniques.

I suppose it's possible, but it would be incredibly frustrating and hard to control.

PantherF
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:31 AM UTC
The Tamiya spray cans DO spray a finer, smaller amount of paint on each pass so it does allow for a controlled amount to be laid down.

Jeff
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya spray cans DO spray a finer, smaller amount of paint on each pass so it does allow for a controlled amount to be laid down.

Jeff

Enough to allow pre-shding to work do you think ?
Logan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:07 PM UTC
HI

I generally use them to lay down a base coat. Afterwards I switch to more traditional techniques for weathering etc. TS-17 is often good enough to be left as is.

As with everything, your results may vary.

Tom
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:10 PM UTC
I use Tamiya rattle cans all the time, for gloss white, aluminum, and of course the primers are excellent.
But then I do mainly shiney airliners, I dont really have any interest in pre-shading or weathering.

It takes many light coats with ample drying time between to get a good even cover, especially with the white.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
I've used spray cans to apply a primer coat on a large model. if you're going to be applying color coats then you'll have to mask the entire aircraft so the over spray doesn't go where you don't want it to go after the base color has been laid down.

As for pre-shading with a rattle can, that's really impossible due the spray pattern and the amount of paint.

Joel
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:04 AM UTC
Mighty impressive results with just a rattle can, Jonathan!

Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for pre-shading with a rattle can, that's really impossible due the spray pattern and the amount of paint.

I wasn't meaning doing pre-shading with the can but rather will pre-shading show through if you use a can for the top coat ?

Sorry for the confusion.
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 06:02 AM UTC
That's some very nice work Jonathan, it's those amazing results with white and silver that make me keen to have a go with other colours.

The Tamiya cans do give a very good finish.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 12:41 PM UTC
As Joel says, complete and careful masking is required, overspray gets everywhere that isnt protected.
various grays, and black as well.

This could do with some westhering. I think in future, I am going to try some pre-shading with an ultra-fine sharpy pen.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 04:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wasn't meaning doing pre-shading with the can but rather will pre-shading show through if you use a can for the top coat ?

Sorry for the confusion.

I would say that would be very difficult to do, Scott, since effective pre-shading relies heavily on the ability to apply and build up the base coat in fine layers until you achieve the level of opacity you want. Normally, I would say you can't do that with spray cans, but looking at Jonathan's results I guess anything is possible with practice.

Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sorry for the confusion.

I would say that would be very difficult to do, Scott, since effective pre-shading relies heavily on the ability to apply and build up the base coat in fine layers until you achieve the level of opacity you want. Normally, I would say you can't do that with spray cans, but looking at Jonathan's results I guess anything is possible with practice.

The Tamiya cans do go on ultra thin, I just wonder if it's thin enough
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 04:50 PM UTC
I guess that spray cans are an (clumsey?) alternative to an airbrush, if you don't have an airbrush.

I never understood the logic of decanting and using this paint in an airbrush instead of directly spraying it from the can.

I would promote buying a good airbrush and small compressor to anyone.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess that spray cans are an (clumsey?) alternative to an airbrush, if you don't have an airbrush.

I never understood the logic of decanting and using this paint in an airbrush instead of directly spraying it from the can.

I would promote buying a good airbrush and small compressor to anyone.

Drabslab,
Tamiya only makes their lacquer based Silver in a can that is used quite a lot for NMFs and undercoats. I also know of several car modelers that buy car primers, then decant it for car modeling purposes.

Joel
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC
Main reason for me is that some of the spray colours only come in spray, you can't get bottles of them.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Main reason for me is that some of the spray colours only come in spray, you can't get bottles of them.

Scott,
If you have an airbrush then decant the rattle cans and use your air brush. Honestly, today virtually almost every color is available from one or another paint company.
Joel
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 07:51 PM UTC
[quote

Drabslab,
Tamiya only makes their lacquer based Silver in a can that is used quite a lot for NMFs and undercoats. I also know of several car modelers that buy car primers, then decant it for car modeling purposes.

Joel[/quote]

Aha, I did not know that. I am using Alclad II and am happy with that but it is very good that others prefer different tools, that is what keeps the hobby alive
 _GOTOTOP