_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
HELP! MERIT'S BIG DR1
5thMech
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC
Does anyone out there in Aeroscale World know if there are aftermarket accessories made specifically for Merit's 1/24th DR1 kit? Any 1/24th accessories for German WWI aircraft in general particularly cockpit and armament items?

Thank you for you assistance!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:15 AM UTC
Try Tom's Modelworks.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:18 AM UTC
Toms has a 1/28 German interior set you may be able to adapt or use for patterns.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 - 11:47 PM UTC
I heard that the Merit kit (though I have never seen it) was closer to 1-28 than 1-24. This was I a review a long time ago.... '90s.... My God! the LAST Century!!!!

feeling ancient

Captn Tommy
modelcellar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 10:32 PM UTC
5thMech,

Barracuda Studios was suppose to be working on some resin updates.

We (Model Cellar) did a 1/24 Manfred von Richthofen figure for this kit. It was sculpted by Mike Good. You can see the announcement here:

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/news/21019

...and you can see color photos of a painted example of the figure right on the front page of our website: www.ModelCellar.com

Anyway, back to resin after market parts... At the same time Mike was sculpting our figure, he did some detail parts, corrections, and updates for the kit. He actually had a 'test shot' of the kit and was able to do the 'after market' parts even before the kit was released. He offered them to me, but I passed. Roy at Barracuda took them on and he was supposed to be doing them. I just had a look at Barracuda Studios website but there is nothing listed. So, I don't know if they will come to fruition or not.

CaptnTommy,
I'm not sure to which review from the 90's you are referring, but you must be thinking of a different kit. This new 1/24 scale Merit kit is in fact brand new. We had advance knowledge of the release (the 'test shot') and our figure and the updates were designed for this kit before it was released. So, I know it is a brand new kit and not from the 90's

I have the kit and I just took it out and measured the wing span. Tip-to-tip, the top wing piece measures 10.75 inches. The ailerons (when attached) will add another .5 inches on each side for a total of 11.75 inches. Info I found lists the actual wingspan of the Dr.I as 23 ft 8 inches (which would be 284 inches). So, a little division... 284/11.75 equals 24.17 So, it looks to be right on 1/24 scale. At least as far as the wingspan goes. As for the overall length: Because I haven't built the kit, I didn't/can't measure the length (which would include cowling, tail surfaces, etc.

Anyway, keep an eye on Barracuda Studios for updates for the kit. Unless Roy "shelved" them, I'm guessing he will release them at some point. I hope so, because I have the kit and would like to get the resin details too.

regards,
Paul

CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 12:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the Info, I did not know, of a new big DR-1. As I recall the review I mentioned was a piece for piece knockoff. Though good. I have two of Revells Built. again last century.

Enjoy

Captn Tommy
modelcellar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the Info, I did not know, of a new big DR-1. ...

Hi CaptnTommy,

Yeah, I know. Surprisingly when they released it there was no big fan fare, or advertising campaign in the modeling magazines. I advertise in several magazines. I get copies of the magazines but never saw any advertisements for the kit. Especially since it was the 100th anniversary of WWI, and it is even larger than the old 1/28th from Revell, etc, ...just very strange! And then they released the 1/24 S.E.5A too! And again, no advertising?! So, back in November I actually pointed out the release to Rowan and he posted it on the forums here:

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/news/21021

And what was also strange: when it first came out no shops in the US seemed to have it. You could only order it direct from Merit (or if you went on EBAY it was, and still is, available from Legends Toys Hobbies in City of Industry, CA. which is one in the same place). But yet shops/retailers in the UK, Germany and Italy were carrying it and selling it on EBAY.

regards,
Paul

CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:50 AM UTC
WWI in the US is unfortunately an after thought. We were in for 18 months. We probably kept the war from continuing into 1918. though the Germans were pretty much finished after June 1918. Canada is another matter, They celebrate, My sister lives in Canada.

But, Thanks for the info, I could talk long and hard on the subject.

Enjoy
Captn Tommy
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:06 PM UTC

..."And what was also strange: when it first came out no shops in the US seemed to have it. You could only order it direct from Merit (or if you went on EBAY it was, and still is, available from Legends Toys Hobbies in City of Industry, CA. which is one in the same place). But yet shops/retailers in the UK, Germany and Italy were carrying it and selling it on EBAY."

Folks,
I can't speak for others, but our LHS, Skyway Models, here in Seattle had both Merit kits right away. I think the issue is many LHS do not use Merit as a direct distributor, those that do get first shot at new AFV club and Merit kits. I looked at both the DR1 and SE5 kits many months ago, I'm thinking about October or November of 2015? I can't recall for sure, but it was a while back. I think the kit Capt. Tommy was thinking about was the old 1/28 Modelcraft DR1, which in fact was an exact copy of the 1/28 Revell kit. As for the Merit kits, they are nice, but 1/24 scale is an odd scale to pick for WWI models as there are not many (if any) compatible kits or accessories out there. It would have made better sense to release them in 1/32, as the Roden DR1 is not the easiest to build and has some issues, and the WNW SE5 is rather pricey-- the Roden SE5 is a good kit, but not up to WNW standards. I think Merit has done this so they have two models as "bookends" to get into the WWI aircraft "race". It will be interesting to see if they release other WWI kits, but I think most WWI modelers prefer 1/32 scale because of the wide selection of kits, aftermarket resin and PE, decals, conversions and figures.
VR Russ

modelcellar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:11 PM UTC
RE: "I think the kit Capt. Tommy was thinking about was the old 1/28 Modelcraft DR1, which in fact was an exact copy of the 1/28 Revell kit."

Ah, yeah, that makes sense - I forgot about that kit =). And yes, it was Oct/Nov 2015 when Merit released these. And good to hear your LHS had it because not many knew about it. But, Merit really should have done more advertising in the magazines.

RE: "1/24 scale is an odd scale to pick for WWI models"

mmm, maybe, maybe not. I think they were going for the 'WOW' factor of BIGGER, MORE SENATIONAL. You know, something fresh, something new - rather than competing with the Roden kits which are already out there. Even if the Roden kits are 'worse', as a manufacturer you have to weigh: Which is more likely: Will someone who already bought the Roden kit(s) spend more money and buy a second, or third one in 1/32, or will they spend their money to buy something new/fresh/unique/exciting and sensational as a 1/24 scale version that hasn't been done before. Me, personally, if it was 1/32 I probably would have passed because I already have TWO 1/32 Roden Fokkers - the first one (Voss) and the second release (Richthofen). I'm not going to buy a THIRD one. ...but in 1/24 scale? YEAH, COOL - I'll buy THAT =). So, again, I think the thought was to go for bigger and more sensational. After all, they make a Dauntless in LARGE 1/18 scale - now THAT is sensational!

Besides, 1/24 actually is a 'standard modelling scale' like 1/72, and 1/48. There are WWII planes (P-51, Spitfire, BF-109, etc) in 1/24. So a modeler could compare different planes of different eras (BF-109 vs Fokker) side by side because they are both in the same scale - and that's cool too. As for scale... 1/28? now THAT is an ODD scale =). Plus, does aftermarket accessories drive the kits, or do the kits drive the aftermarket accessories - which came first? the chicken or the egg?? ...interesting.

Anyway, it's ALL good=).

Removed by original poster on 07/07/16 - 23:15:49 (GMT).
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:09 AM UTC

"...1/24 actually is a 'standard modelling scale' like 1/72, and 1/48. There are WWII planes (P-51, Spitfire, BF-109, etc) in 1/24. So a modeler could compare different planes of different eras (BF-109 vs Fokker) side by side because they are both in the same scale - and that's cool too. As for scale... 1/28? now THAT is an ODD scale =). Plus, does aftermarket accessories drive the kits, or do the kits drive the aftermarket accessories - which came first? the chicken or the egg?? ...interesting.

Anyway, it's ALL good=)."

Paul,
It is all good, I agree. Before we move on though, I've wanted my LHS to carry Model Cellar products for some time now-- but they use several different distributors-- PCM, Cal Hobby, Merit, Squadron and Stevens-- is Model Cellar available through any of them?
I might have been mistaken about the "Modelcraft" DRI-- I think it's actually the "Hobbycraft" DRI-- still the same kit as the 1/28 Revell DRI though. As for 1/28 scale, that's the scale Revell found that would comfortably fit the box back in 1959-- so its really "box scale", and it really is that old. The 1/28 DRI, SPAD and Sopwith were all released within a year or two of each other, but the woeful Fokker DVII was released by Revell Germany in the early 90's so there would be two German and two allied aircraft in their 1/28 line-- it was really a continuance of that old "box scale mentality". I cut my teeth on these kits, because my Brother-in-law really loved them and he would buy them for me (He was a Doctor, and practiced his suturing skills with the rigging!-- he gave me packets of silk sutures with every kit too!)
I agree 1/24 is a standard scale, since I build 1/24 and 1/25 open wheel racers. But you have to agree it's a little ungainly for aircraft-- somewhere between "its big, and it's too big" for many. WWI aircraft aren't large, but certainly the WWII fighters are large and expensive in most cases. As for buying different kits of the same aircraft in the same scale, I agree but, I think I'd buy another if it was a better kit (just not in 1/24 ). Therein lies the beauty of WWI kits-- almost endless color schemes (especially German A/C. I too have built Roden's Richtofen and Encore's Voss DRIs, but a yellow one would be a nice contrast! I've built just about two of every "inexpensive" WWI kit out there in 1/32-- I have three Academy Nieuports, two Hobbycraft Sopwiths (both marked as Barker's aircraft a year apart (by the way this is a nice kit and no way associated with the Academy offering). I have all the Roden Albatros' (and one WnW Albatros too). So in color schemes alone, it's not unrealistic to build more than one or two of the same kit.
I think the kit comes first, followed by the aftermarket in most cases, although as you pointed out, sometimes there's parallel development. Your products are superb by the way-- I just wish there was a way to obtain them through my LHS, since I don't do much on-line shopping (I know, I'm a dinosaur-- I get that all the time!).
VR, Russ

modelcellar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

Why don't you have your LHS contact me. I'd be happy to send them an order.

Also, since you don't do a lot on line because you are "old school" you can always write me a note and send a check or money order. Now that's OLD SCHOOL! Plus the anticipation of old school Mail Order... gotta love it =).

Paul

Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:02 AM UTC
Paul,
Thanks-- I will definitely pass your info to Emil at Skyway Models in Seattle. If he can't get them from you, I'll be placing an order direct. Thanks again for helping out we "Knights of the Sky" modelers!
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP