_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
1/144 Space Shuttle
jonvan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:40 PM UTC
Not sure where this belongs so I figured "close counts". I have the old Airfix 1/144 Orbiter and am missing the clear parts. I tried Airfix and they say they don't stock those old out of date kit parts. I think I saw an aftermarket company that made shuttle parts and had windows for 1/144 scale shuttles but can't for the life of me remember the companys name. Anyone have any idea? Thanks---John
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 12:27 AM UTC
John,
You might try looking at the Ninfinger (not a spelling error-- its not Nine Finger) website. He keeps lists and reviews of space models and space model products. Or you could look at the various space model manufacturers for an after market product (such as Real Space Models). I do quite a bit of spacecraft modeling, but frankly I can't remember a replacement part for the 1/144 shuttle windcscreen, I think there might be one for the Hasegawa 1/200 shuttle. That doesn't mean there aren't any though. If you don't find one, you could build a balsa master and vac-form one, or you could fill in the empty windshield area, putty it over, then paint it in. In 1/144 scale there's not a lot to be seen in the cockpit area anyway.
VR, Russ
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 12:34 AM UTC
The main cockpit windows are all flat panels. You should be able to make them from clear plastic such as dead CD cases or the like. The two overhead windows are slightly curved, but heating a chunk of the CD case and draping it over a suitably curved surface shouldn't be terribly difficult.
 _GOTOTOP