_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Mid Life Crisis 1/72 scale
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 05:52 AM UTC
For what ever reason, I started buying the aircraft of my youth. When I was 11 years old I read Eddie Rickenbacker's "Fighting the Flying Circus", and then decided to build all of Revells WW1 1/72 aircraft (No big deal, at .40 a box, it took just a few minutes to collect enough pop bottles to buy them). I even to manage a few Airfix (Roland, Hannover) and some Renwals. Anyway, those models are long gone(?) Thanks to EBay, I have restarted, but, finding reviews seems a little hit and miss. Right now I have on order:
Revell
Sop Triplane
ALBT DIII
Neiuport 28,
Airco DH2
I have read that the SPADXIII sucks, Maybe the Camel sucks. What is the story on the EI, Neiuport, SE5a, DVII, are they accurate in form, or are they lost causes? I don't care about the lack of interior detail. I just don't want to remake the plane because someone didn't measure right.
I have also ordered the following:
ICM EIV
TOKO N16c
RODAN
ABLT DI
FoK DVII (ABL)
Junker D1
EDUARD
Junker J1
The RODANs are in Belgium, so see when they show up.

Thanks for any opinions you may have on Revell kits
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC
Scored the German DrI today from Revell Germany.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 12:36 AM UTC
I've always built to the box and painted to the best information.

On Revell Dr-1 is wonderful I have a Voss paint job and sprue for the wing tip skids is the only modification It cam out well. The Albatros and the Fok. D-7 have thick struts but look good, I painted them a bit too gloss. I have done the DH-2 two times. The latest fell off the shelf and is now lined up for a nice downed bird diorama.

There are flaws in all but they build good and for the time and the existing plans at that time, they are good and fun and even now inexpensive.

I like them.

I am staring at an Aurora D-VIII (as I type this), in the original "metallic green". I have the Wellman plans from Model Airplane News circa 1950 time period. The model is "right on" with those plans, so it is Accurate, Regardless. Now, how do I build it without marring that plastic finish??????

Captn Tommy
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 05:50 AM UTC
Oh man I remember those metal flake Aurora beauties. My brother's ceiling was filled with those, even the Gortha(sp).

I guess the German Revell is re molding the old kits. I wish they could find the money to rehab the whole line, and add (IMHO) the most important ace stopper in the RAC, the FEE in 1/72(MFR and Boelcke). The Revell lineup was always short a two seater, I mean at least Aurora kicked out a Habstat(sp) and Misfit.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 07:37 PM UTC
.... and the DH-4 and the DH-10. I Regretfully (now) blew up my DH-4 with some firecrackers, in 19??.

Captn Tommy
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:23 AM UTC
I have the DrI, ABT DIII, Camels, EIII,MS-N, Sop Tripe.
The Morane Saulnier is going to be interesting to fix. Reading the reviews, the Revell DVII shape and outline seems on par with the newer releases.
Sop Tripe needs work on the tail. All the Revell,s wheels need help.
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 08:14 PM UTC
What is up with AIRFIX's BE2c?
The thing has flash all over, and the Zep fighter is shown as a Two seater.
 _GOTOTOP