_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/72 scale plans
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 02:27 PM UTC
Anyone have a source for 1/72 scale aircraft plans?
Looking for:
Morane-Saulnire N
AIRCO DH-2
FE2b
Nieuport 16

Thanks for any help
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 05:37 AM UTC
A couple of possible sources are,

Windsock Datafiles. http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/

Or some of the early drawings from the 50's and 60's. But you should know the drawings are "fitted" to the page so are not entirely accurate to 1/72.

redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:06 PM UTC
Problem I have been running into is coming across plans that were really just general views of the aircraft, not a real scale study. Then you have the flight model drawings which I feel are suspect since they are created with a flying model in mind. Then you have the mismatches, one drawing has one thing and another different version. The MS-N is a case in point with two different kinds of spines illustrated, one appeared to be fabric and the other a smooth wood contour. Bad enough Revell screwed the tail up.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:06 PM UTC
I have a proportional "slide rule". with this in my case you set the actual dimension and the target dimension and with simple math can find the actual dimension in 1/72 scale, then with a percentage setting on the copier you can make your own scale drawing of whatever. this can also be done with a little paper math... wanted dimension/actual dimension=PERCENTAGE. Only make sure the dimensions are the same Inches/inches or cm/cm. I find the metric system is the easiest to convert.

Have a go... Enjoy

Captn Tommy

Engineers use science to solve their problems, if the science is available. But available or not, the problem must be solved, and whatever form the solution takes under these conditions is called engineering. – Shigley, an engineer/professor
 _GOTOTOP