_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
alclad primer
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hai,

I am using Tamiya gloss black as base coat for "alclad aircraft aluminium" and am very happy with it.

Recently I read that when you vary the "blackness" of the basecoat for certain panels, the result is that the shine of the Alclad layer is slightly different leading to an enhanced impresion of different panels.

Varying the base coat seems much safer than using tape on a finished alclad surface.

My only question is: how much gloss white should I add (minimum, maximum) to the standard Tamiya black X-1 to get a grey that will show a different surface finish once covered with alclad without overdoing it.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
Drabslab,
I've used that technique a few times, and it does work. Honestly, I used gloss Black, A few Gloss Grays, and even Gloss Brown. Each produces a different Aluminum finish using the Flat Aluminum 101. I have 10 different shades of Alcad II for different purposes. For the most part I've found that they vary to much in Aluminum shade to panel variation straight from the bottle.

As for the tape pulling up the Alcad, just don't tape of Chrome, or some of the shinier shades. Their home site has the full list.

Joel
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 01:45 PM UTC
Good, I will try this :-)

My idea is to paint everything gloss black (tamiya acryl) and then do individual panels adding knwon percentages of gloss white (also tamiya acryl of course).

I will make some pictures so you can see the result
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:44 PM UTC
Drabslab,
Looking forward to seeing your test results.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP