_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Dust removal advice needed, please
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hi everyone,
While sanding the cockpit of my B-29' the front seam of the glazing popped just as I was going over it resulting in dust getting dumped into the pit.

In the moving of the model afterwards, this dust became attached to the inside of the upper glazing. The good news is that I can reach each panel with a Q-tip.

The bad news is that a Q-tip will leave fibers. I can dampen it with Isopropyl, but that's no guarantee of a fiber-free result.

I considered blu tack, but have heard it leaves a residue. I even thought about the vacuum, but began imagining the pilots seats and other parts being sucked up.

The upper glazing is very firmly attached. I fear that trying to remove it will either damage it, or the surrounding gray plastic.

Anyone got any ideas? Can I do it quickly with masking tape with no fear of residue?

Thanks,

Gaz
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC
Try using your airbrush to gently dislodge the dust particles. If that doesn't work, and you can access the inside of the canopy, use a fine brush or a micro brush to dust. Some alcohols can leave a residue as they mix with the dust, so I don't recommend using them to remove dust-- they may just concentrate the dust in one location on the glazing.
VR, Russ
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:05 AM UTC
Russ,
Thank you. Never thought to use the airbrush. Didn't think about alcohol mixing with the dust and leaving a residue, either.

Gaz
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:13 AM UTC
Small piece of tack cloth held in tweezers.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:21 AM UTC
Antoni,
Thank you! I have never known of tack cloth before. I will go get some.

Gaz
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:17 AM UTC
You could also try flooding it out with water and then draining the excess out through the open nose.
Lokis_Tyro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Antoni,
Thank you! I have never known of tack cloth before. I will go get some.

Gaz

I bought a tack cloth to replace the one I got from my dad. Big mistake. It was like glue and left residue on whatever touched, including my hand. So, if you do get one test it on something before using it. A good one will last a very long time. I'm still using the one I was given. I remember seeing the same one when I was a kid. Seal it up in a bag after use.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:27 AM UTC
Jessica,
Thank you for that suggestion. I might have to get a water pik.

Andrew,
Thanks for the caution. I'llmake sure I test it on something. Not sure what, yet. Thouh I do have some old vacuum form canopy sheets, somewhere.

Gaz
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessica,
Thank you for that suggestion. I might have to get a water pik.

Or just a syringe; they're generally cheaper
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or just a syringe; they're generally cheaper

I must be tired. Such a simple solution didn't even present itself.

Thanks again!

Gaz
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi Gary!

Try using a small piece of a new/old soft&thin nylon socket (ask wife, family etc. or maybe check your own secret places ). It works as well as the old antistatic towels used for vinyl records as I use it for this. No fibres will be left.
That's a good dry solution instead of soaking all.

Thomas
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:56 AM UTC
Thomas,
Thank you!

Gaz
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:15 PM UTC
Gary,
When I actually remember that I have one, a tack cloth would be my #1 way to go. Cutting it isn't easy, but I do it all the time with a very sharp pair of Scissors. Once used I do throw out the little piece.

Using an air brush or a can of air will just scatter the dust throughout the cockpit, exactly what you don't want.

I've never used Blue tac or Gray tac to remove dust, but it's great for grabbing small pieces in tight places.

As for using water, well, that just scares me. Small parts can easily be damaged, broken, or even washed away. And then there is the issue of the water staining anything that has been painted but not completely sealed.

Joel
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:40 AM UTC
Careful-- the last time I bought a product at a hardware store that was labeled "tack cloth" it was actually a gauze pad with a waxy substance impregnated into the cloth--not suitable for cleaning clear parts. Not all "tack cloths" are equal-- some have an oil impregnation as well. A true "tack cloth" has no "tacky" or "sticky" treatment but is a lint free product resembling a tightly woven gauze. I've been unable to find the untreated "tack cloth" at any walk-in hardware outlet in my area as they all seem to carry wax/oil impregnated stuff. In the States, Rockler woodworking stores used to carry tack cloth without treatments. I would think trying to get a piece of cloth into a 1/48 scale cockpit on a pair of tweezers would invite the risk of damage.
VR, Russ
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Bought the tack but tested it on a mrror. It was just gauze with oil or wax, left smears on a mirror. Straight into the garbage it went.

Got impatient, but didn't want water in the cockpit. I paint with acrylics.

Hadn't got the suggestion about a nylon stocking before I ran out of patience and used water and a Q-tip.

Wiped each panel gently after trying to chase the rest of the dust out of the cockpit.

Reattached the front glazing with PVA. i figure if everythg else popped, I might as well stixk with something easy.

Thank tou for all of your considerate answers,

Gaz
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:15 PM UTC
I picked up a Tamiya 'Model Cleaning Brush (Anti Static)' from Hobby Link Japan. The intent is to get rid of surface dust before painting because the static was just a complete pain. Seems to be do the job but I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly yet.
http://tamiya.com/english/products/74078brush/index.htm

https://hlj.com/product/TAM74078/Sup

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 03:43 PM UTC
Hi Willard

That looks rather good. I'll probably get one at some point, but would you like to write us a short review of yours once you've had a chance to test it properly?

All the best

Rowan
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hi Rowan, Yes happy to give that a go, I'll be clear coating a build soon hopefully, if I can get free of some other work.
To slightly change the subject and risk thread jacking, is there any secret to posting photos to a thread? There seems to be an intermediate upload step, so maybe there's a 'best practice' I'm missing
If you could PM me or direct me to a relevant thread I'd be very grateful.

regards.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 11:56 AM UTC
Hi Willard

Nice one.

Re: uploading pics - there are a couple of threads "stickied" in User Support that should hopefully help get you going. If you continue to have problems, let us know and we'll try to talk you through it. Posting pics is something where, once you've got the hang of it, you wonder how there was ever a problem.

All the best

Rowan
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 12:45 PM UTC
I've used make up applicators to get dust and lint out of nooks and crannies. You can get them at the make up counter or if you don't feel comfortable doing that get your wife/girlfriend/mommy to get them for you. To clean them of dust and lint it just dabbed them on low tack painters tape. Gotta be careful if they get damaged then they start shedding particles. They are kind of like cotton swaps except soft foam rather than fibers.
MJWard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 04:19 PM UTC
Gazza - go to your nearest specsavers and ask for one or two of their glasses cleaning cloths - best non-sticky tack cloths you'll ever get - usually free too !

All the Best
Matthew
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 02:57 AM UTC
Matthew,
Thank you! I have two pairs of glasses with thosecloths and didn't even think of them.

Gaz
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gazza - go to your nearest specsavers and ask for one or two of their glasses cleaning cloths - best non-sticky tack cloths you'll ever get - usually free too !

All the Best
Matthew

Matthew,
I never thought of those either. You're referring to the cloths that come with glasses for cleaning them?
Joel
 _GOTOTOP