_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Why not making a B-26 in 1/48 or 1/32?
ejasonk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 08:49 PM UTC
Just found my very old Monogram 1/48 B-26 Marauder, it was my first ever built model.

I wonder, why no one of the many manufacturers is considering to make a Marauder? It is one of the most beautiful planes of WW2, but the only available one is the old Monogram kit from last century.

If any manufacturer is reading this.. Come on, give us new larger scale Marauders!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:23 PM UTC
Fully agree!

Michael
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:24 PM UTC
There is also an ancient ESCI B-26 in 1/48. Here is a nice article comparing the two kits. http://www.swannysmodels.com/B26B.html

Fit issues are notorious. Consider aftermarket cowlings.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hi Brian

As soon as you mentioned the cowlings it rang many (ancient!) bells - I think Esci's B-26 must be a re-box of the AMT effort that was thoroughly trashed back in the 1970s in Scale Models Magazine when they compared it to the then new Monogram kit.

All the best

Rowan
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Brian

As soon as you mentioned the cowlings it rang many (ancient!) bells - I think Esci's B-26 must be a re-box of the AMT effort that was thoroughly trashed back in the 1970s in Scale Models Magazine when they compared it to the then new Monogram kit.

All the best

Rowan

Yes I'm sure that's the one. In fact when I initially drafted my reply to this post I looked online to confirm that it was AMT because that's the Brand X kit I have. I saw the other names and thought my mind was playing tricks on me.

Matt Swan gives the AMT/ESCI etc. kit a pretty good review. He says both have issues, which we know. I have never looked at either of them in real detail. I do plan to build a short winged B-26 one of these days using the Monogram kit and Mike West's now out of production modifications.

Needless to say, I wonder even more why the mainstream manufacturers haven't come up with a new B-17 model in quarter inch.
covkid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:05 PM UTC

Hi, there is a 1/32 vacform from combat nodels. not sure if it still available.The company that became is Hong kong models that do the large B17's and B25 was originally going to do a B26. Would love an A26 as well.

Regards Jason
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 10:23 PM UTC
Combat Models is not a brand name; it's a description.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:11 AM UTC
Im sure a lot of companies have evaluated the option of 1/48 Marauder, Invader and for sure even the Fortress and the Liberator. I think we will see in time something from China. I think they are willing to invest in the tools and molds, these are no-brainers that would sell well. But I think the issue is that they dont have the needed info and documentation on these planes yet.
EDIT : Forgot to add that I think we will see also the He-111 in 1/48 from Revell in the foreseable future.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we will see also the He-111 in 1/48 from Revell in the foreseable future.

That's pretty much a given since they already have moulds for it
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessie, I'm not 100% sure of your point. There was a "Combat Models" vacuform brand based here in New Jersey (and sometimes Pennsylvania) in the late 70s/early 80s. They made a lot of kits, all of which were horrible. I got suckered into buying one once, because of the subject, and when I opened the box saw instantly that it served as little more than a pattern (of questionable reliability) for a complete scratch-build.

Maybe others have built them, but that would be mad task IMHO.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jessie, I'm not 100% sure of your point. There was a "Combat Models" vacuform brand based here in New Jersey (and sometimes Pennsylvania) in the late 70s/early 80s. They made a lot of kits, all of which were horrible. I got suckered into buying one once, because of the subject, and when I opened the box saw instantly that it served as little more than a pattern (of questionable reliability) for a complete scratch-build.

Maybe others have built them, but that would be mad task IMHO.

Yes, that's my point. You end up fighting the model instead of building it. Therefore "Combat Models" is a description of what you're about to do.
 _GOTOTOP