_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
struts construction
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 03:06 AM UTC
Question: How were struts made for WW1 aircraft? Looking at photos, it appears that a metal bar/pipe/tube comes out of the struts and connects to the plane's frame. I ask because I want to make some WW1 ACs in 72d, and struts provided by the model makers seem to always be a problem.
Thanks for any info

simon
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC
Some struts are made from wood, with metal fittings top and bottom, some are of metal tubing, and some are metal tubing with wood fairings covering them. It all depends which aircraft you're going to model.

One popular way to make struts is to use bamboo cooking skewers. Cut them to the proper length, shape them using files and sanding sticks, then drill them top and bottom for brass wire pins to fit into the wings.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some struts are made from wood, with metal fittings top and bottom, some are of metal tubing, and some are metal tubing with wood fairings covering them. It all depends which aircraft you're going to model.

One popular way to make struts is to use bamboo cooking skewers. Cut them to the proper length, shame them using files and sanding sticks, then drill them top and bottom for brass wire pins to fit into the wings.

I might try that method. Thanks Jessie!
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 09:33 PM UTC
Simon,
I used to use Contrail strut material, but as Contrail is long out of business now, it's much harder to find any. Therefore I've gone to another method, but it's a little more expensive. For 1/72 scale models I use Albion brass microtube (aluminum works too) cut to length with a much smaller diameter solid brass or steel wire positioned on the inside with the ends extending slightly out of the tube. I then crush the tube around the inside wire with a pair of smooth jawed hobby pliers. This gives me an airfoil shaped "strut" with instant anchor points on either end. These are incredibly strong, and there's very little sanding or shaping involved. For larger models in 1/48 or 1/32 scale, I use K&S copper or aluminum tubing to give me the proper shape (it saves money as Albion is not cheap). If the strut is not straight, you can use a small bench vise to get proper alignment.
VR Russ
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:47 AM UTC
Good ideas. So far looking around the net the metal bar appears to be used on:
Nieuport 28
SPAD XIII
FE 2b
Junker J 1