_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Nieuport 28 vicker
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 01:20 PM UTC
Anyone know which machine gun was mounted on the N28? I was just reading Windsock DF 36, and they stated when the 94th first scored (Campbell and Winslow, 14/04/18) the planes only had one vickers mounted. Firing the gun I don't know if it matter if it was the deck or the 9 o,clock one. I would think the deck one would be a better sight picture. Don't see how these boys serviced their weapons once in flight past just yanking on the charging handle. At least with the Lewis?Hoctkiss(sp) you could clear the gun, if on the right mount.
Anyway, that is my question, thinking of doing maybe Winslow's N28, when he splashed Simon.

Thanks

Hey that could be a campaign-"Winners and Losers" Two model build, The one who won, and the one who got shot down...
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey that could be a campaign-"Winners and Losers" Two model build, The one who won, and the one who got shot down...

Cool idea! Next to Rhys Davids vs. Voss, Richthofen vs. Hawker etc. you should also remember Porco Rosso vs. Curtis, both models available from Fine Molds Models in 1/48 and 1/72.

Mikko
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:11 PM UTC
Because one of the fuel cells occupied the right side of the interior fuselage the first machine gun installations were the left side position (your "9 O'clock position")

See here.
redsoldat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 06:00 AM UTC
Thanks, I didn't know if they put the gun in the deck mount or the side mount. Looking at your build is great for getting details. Reloading the magazines boxes must have been fun even on the ground. Maybe they just put in a pre looped box, and on return, pulled that one and inserted another? Funny, looks like the casings and links would be flying past the pilot when he fired.
 _GOTOTOP