_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Rumpler C,IV Late interior question
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi,
I'm currently building WNW Rumpler C.IV late for the Sign of the Four campaign. The first WNW kit I've built and everything is going great, but this afternoon I came across a real stumbling block and glaring mistake in their instructions.

My problem is here.

This little painting guide tells us how to paint the inside of the fuselage halves and the placement of the interior lozenge decal (if you go with that finishing option as I am). The problem, is that more of the rear fuselage is visible than they show.
I've highlighted the are with a blue box in the next pics.

So what should I use on this section? Wood or fabric?
If fabric, WNW do provide 2 large extra decals of interior lozenge, so I can cover it easily.

This kit has now been out for a good few years now, so I'm surprised they haven't picked up on this mistake and corrected it.

Any help is appreciated.

Stephen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:48 PM UTC
This may help.

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:55 PM UTC
Aha!
Thanks. I'll use a piece of the extra interior decal to cover that. Still a mystery as to why they haven't corrected the instructions. Surely I'm not the first to be stumped by this.
My confusion also comes from the fact that I'm building a later version with the ply reinforced fuselage. Which parts were reinforced and how? References are more than a little vague about it.

I visited the Deutsches Museum in Munich a few years ago. Took loads of photos of their Rumpler, but can I find the SD card they're on?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:34 PM UTC
Actually the Plywood was not added to reinforce other places on the airframe. It was there on all productions around the engine. Though it might have been a bit thicker, the main difference is the early version C.IV used a spinner and the late models C.IV - IX did not. They deleted the spinner and rounded the nose with the whole propellor exposed. It had better performance in the later configurations.

Late version

Early version
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:04 AM UTC
The spinner on the early version does make it a nicer looking aeroplane. I was torn between both when I decided to get one. The lozenge won me over though.

The instructions and Aeronaut Books 'Rumpler Aircraft of WW1' both say the rear fuselage was reinforced with ply to help the aeroplane withstand high speed dives and turns. But say nothing as to where. Hence my question.
I'll go with the fabric. It's only got to cover those small sections but it will improve it.

So thanks for the help.

I'm going to have a go at a little modifying and build it as the Rumpler fitted with a Lewis alongside the Parabellum in the observers pit.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:16 AM UTC
I would certainly trust the Aeronaut book.

Here is the early version mold.

Here is the late version mold at WNW.
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3053&cat=5#

Though they mention it in the WnW instructions The only opening if for the tail skid and not much else will be seen. I checked my cache of WnW images and its on their website under archived images.

See image #24.

Good luck.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC
I hadn't given much thought to the little wear inside the tail skid hatch, but as you say this won't even be seen.

I've been more concerned about that small area inside the observers pit, which I'm now now able to do thanks to your help.

I'm making a few educated guesses on the final finish. I'm going to portray the aircraft in its earlier life before it received the late style crosses. Looking at the photos in the book, there is evidence of overpainting around the fuselage and wing crosses. The fuselage lozenge fabric has also been lightly oversprayed in pale green before this. So, that's what I'm planning. It's a big guess I know, but I think it might work out.
The real challenge is making up the mounting for the Lewis!
cohiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The spinner on the early version does make it a nicer looking aeroplane. I was torn between both when I decided to get one. The lozenge won me over though.

The instructions and Aeronaut Books 'Rumpler Aircraft of WW1' both say the rear fuselage was reinforced with ply to help the aeroplane withstand high speed dives and turns. But say nothing as to where. Hence my question.
I'll go with the fabric. It's only got to cover those small sections but it will improve it.

So thanks for the help.

I'm going to have a go at a little modifying and build it as the Rumpler fitted with a Lewis alongside the Parabellum in the observers pit.

Rumpler Rubild Mb 8186/17 has a 300hp Maybach Mb.IV engine (essentially making it a Rumpler C.VII), not the 260hp Daimler-Mercedes D.IVa which comes with the model.

Not a big deal if you're not worried by that sort of thing but something worth mentioning.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 03:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So thanks for the help.

Rumpler Rubild Mb 8186/17 has a 300hp Maybach Mb.IV engine (essentially making it a Rumpler C.VII), not the 260hp Daimler-Mercedes D.IVa which comes with the model.

Not a big deal if you're not worried by that sort of thing but something worth mentioning.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that being more concerned with the twin guns and paint scheme. For starters the exhaust is totally different.
May have to rethink this. Still, it's early days in the project and I haven't committed to any of the options yet.
Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP