_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Help with an old plane
Squidie9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 06:11 AM UTC

Above is a picture of a model plane I picked up from the tip. It seems to include all pieces that come with the set, however a motor and controller is not included.

My question is this: where might I find a motor and controller for this plane? (Google search brings up nothing) I also have the manual if further information is needed.

Any help would really be appreciated, thankyou.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 06:15 AM UTC
Joshua,
You might want to try a local shop that specializes in RC aircraft.

Gaz
Squidie9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 06:18 AM UTC
I live in a country town, so hobby shops are quite scarce. Could you possibly point me towards an online store that might have what I need?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 06:37 AM UTC
I googled for hobby shops, Victoria, Australia. There's likely to be one or more good stores in that list of results which will have what you need.

Most RC kits come without radio or engine, given that builders have very strong ideas about what kinds they like to use. Perhaps you ought to get yourself a starter model which comes complete so you can start your way up the learning curve.
Squidie9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 06:45 AM UTC
Ok, thankyou for the help. I'll definitely take that into consideration and maybe try and build up my knowledge and experience a little bit. Also essentially are you saying that there is no specific engine for the plane, that there are many different types that will fit it (within reason of course)?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 08:24 AM UTC
The instructions will have a recommended engine size/performance and a recommended radio type (so many channels, depending upon the number of servos the model is designed to need). Within those guidelines, you can use the engine and radio of your choice. Speak to the hobby shop staff. Perhaps even make a special trip into the city to reach the most well-stocked shop.

Also, check out the various online radio control communities. There's a wealth of experience there

And welcome to Aeroscale. We hope you enjoy your time here
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Joshua

Another avenue to try is to touch base with fellow RC enthusiasts in your area. I Googled your location and found the following site that might link you up with clubs or builders near you:

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/victoria-rc-model-aero-clubs.html

I've actually got a vintage free-flight glider to tackle as a future project, so I may well be seeking a bit of flying model help myself.

All the best

Rowan
Squidie9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 05:05 AM UTC
Thankyou all so much for your help, I think I've got all the advice I need now. In about a week I'm actually going up to Melbourne so I'll find a good hobby store (there's bound to be some good ones in Melbourne), have a chat with them and see what I can find.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 03:05 PM UTC
I'm not sure where you're from or where you're headed Josh, but if you can, try to get to Metro Hobbies in Station Street Box Hill or Models and Hobbies $ U in Boronia Road Boronia. Both are great shops with helpful staff and plenty of RC stock and parts.

Cheers, D
julionav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2016 - 10:39 PM UTC
I am actually in the process of building a Gullians Sopwith Camel balsa model that I had planned to convert to electric R/C flight but was talked out of it by some old R/C guys.

But I did find some resources on this site which looks to be out of China? I have not used it so I cant recommended it but I figure I would put it out there as they seem to ship all over the world.

http://www.banggood.com/

Search for electric R/C motors, receivers, transmitter, etc.
Squidie9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 06:50 AM UTC
Thankyou, but I've kinda decided to put my project on hold for a while. I had a chat to a guy at a hobby shop, and boy are remote control aeroplanes a huge, expensive commitment. I think I will definitely get into it in the future, but for now I'm just not prepared to commit the time and money.

Also does anyone know how to lock a thread?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 07:35 AM UTC
The Mod does
I can lock it if you want, or just leave it to age off the page on its own.
 _GOTOTOP