_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Fishing line alternatives advise
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
Hi all'
here in Riyadh fishing line is a rare commodity, being 400 miles away from the nearest coast and being stuck right in the middle of a desert, its not an item that shops generally stock.
So I ask if anyone could please recommend a suitable alternative with regard to antennae wire for 1/72nd aircraft?

Many thanks
Cheers
Peter
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:35 PM UTC
You mean to say there is no ponds or lakes to fish in anywhere around where you live, cause if there is a place to fish there has to be a place to buy fishing line, cause I live over five hundred miles from a coast, but we have lakes and ponds to fish in, and even our Wal-Marts have fishing line here. Hope this gives you a little more insight
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:18 PM UTC
Thanks straightedge,
but the nearest we get to fishing here is dangling a line in my next door neighbours aquarium. Tetra neons don't put up much fight at all and they hardly make a fish fry supper.
Cheers
Peter
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 07:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You mean to say there is no ponds or lakes to fish in anywhere around where you live, cause if there is a place to fish there has to be a place to buy fishing line, cause I live over five hundred miles from a coast, but we have lakes and ponds to fish in, and even our Wal-Marts have fishing line here. Hope this gives you a little more insight

How about real thin thread stretch it tight and apply some glue to it to make it hold straight, cut it off the length you need.
Arznek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 08:50 PM UTC
Industrial sewing thread works great... the high grade stuff they use to sew heavy vinyl is what I normally use. It doesn't have ANY little fibers sticking out around it like your normal clothing grade threads have.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 09:51 PM UTC
There is some stuff they call invisable sewing thread. I think Arznek beat me to that one. It can be found in any sewing section of a store.
HTH

Paul
Tony_Frey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:54 PM UTC
Another possibility is guitar strings. IIRC, the high E is around .007-.008 in diameter. It worked for me on the rigging on a biplane I did recently.
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:39 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,
a few things I can try.
Thanks a lot.
Cheers
Peter
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 01:12 AM UTC
Why not just use stretched sprue? If you're building a model, you'll have the raw materials there...

Mika
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:03 AM UTC
I use the invisible thread. Goto your local sewing or fabric store and ask for invisible thread. It's also called monofilament. One spool of it should last for years.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 08:22 AM UTC
If you do use stretched sprue I found a cool way to make it taught in a Verlinden book. Make sure both ends are secure, heat up a toothpick or something similar and blow it out and hold it under the stretched sprue so the smoke hits it, don't hold under to long or the sprue might break, it doesn't take much, just a thought, Wingman out.
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 12:07 AM UTC

Cześć Peter ,

I think a TinCan - gave a good and cheap solution = I bought a thread at the same profile shop - with cotton and threads for dressmakers/tailors work - besides of invisible thread I also had a black one - bouth had a posibility to shrink after use of a little heat ( hot knife ) - so You could use it without stretching it - I make a little hole in plastic part ( pole/mast ) and another in a tail - drop of super glue and in the end to strech it I used a heat source ( a hot blade of knife ) it shrink and voule-a ( remember a Spitfire Mk I )

Regards / Pozdrowienia dla Ciebie i Żony

flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:38 PM UTC
Czesīcī Artur,
many thanks for the tip.
Another coincidence...my middle name is Arthur.
Best regards to you and yours.
Nasdrowie
Peter
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 790 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 01:11 PM UTC
I'd try the stretched sprue first, and if that didnt pan out, try the other recommendations.
antoniazzip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aragua, Venezuela
KitMaker: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 03:44 PM UTC
Do you have a Doctor friend?, You can try with the thread (wire) for operation that uses they.

All best.
From Venezuela.
Leal Antoniazzi Pedro.
[email protected]
 _GOTOTOP